Chapter 16

(tw: sex)

The Kiss

The police came a few hours later. While Bucky hid in his apartment, Lois and Vulpe explained to the police the unknown woman jumped from the roof of the SALA. Not apartment #17. The roof. They didn't know who she was or why she did it. She was crazy.

When the police left, Lois explained what actually happened to Vulpe in detail. She apologized to her that she would not be getting an extra income from Torren for watching her anymore and that it was in her best interest to keep this story private; to act as if it never happened. Vulpe agreed. The story wouldn't make her much money to sell since she was asleep for the whole thing.  "Thank you, Miss Baxson." Vulpe mumbled as she walked over to her own apartment on the bottom floor. She was thanking her for her life.

Lois sat outside on her patio thinking about what she would do next. Where should she go now? Would she be safe now? What about Bucky, what did he need now?

She played her old music softly in the apartment as the afternoon rain started to fall from the grey sky. She could feel those insufferable eyes on her.

"Why are you staring at me?" She asked him without looking back.

"Can't help it."

"Why?"

"Sometimes I can't tell if things are real or not."

"Oh." Lois looked out at the street below them. She didn't know what to tell him. What Hydra had done to her for a few years, they'd done to him and more, for decades. She couldn't think about it without feeling an urge to vomit. He had been through hell and was still trying to crawl out of it. Her presence was probably the opposite of helpful to him.

"It's not just that." He mumbled, and she turned to face him. Bucky leaned against the patio door they had cleaned of blood before the cops came. Before she could ask him to elaborate more he reached out his hand for her to take. "Come in here. It's getting cold."

He pulled her inside and she leaned against the kitchen counter, biting on her thumbnail as he locked the patio door behind them.

He looked at her and sighed, "It's not safe for me here anymore. If the CIA knows I'm here, others will too."

Lois's thumb fell from her mouth. She knew this was coming.

"Where are you going to go?"

Bucky walked closer to her, "I dunno yet."

Lois didn't know what to say. She understood that he had to go but did he have to go alone? Did he want that? She nodded, eyes focusing on her feet. On her fuzzy socks that were soon approached by his black ones.

Bucky removed his gloves and set them on the counter, to which Lois looked at before his arms wrapped around Lois and pulled her into his chest. Lois was a little stiff at first, then she melted into it, leaning her cheek on his chest.

"Are you scared of me?" She mumbled from under his chin.

"No."

Lois began to pull away but Bucky resisted her pull. The metal arm held her like a second spine, from her mid-back to the back of her head where his fingers tilted her head back to look at him.