37

I was really stuck with how to move forward. I've decided to cap at 40 chapters, the longest fic I've ever written, and probably the best. 35 is most definitely my favorite chapter whoops.

I don't get to make a speech at your wedding, but you shouldn't be surprised that I'm still writing you a message anyway because goodness knows I write too much. I apologize in advance if this message makes you mush (again). It's your special day, and since you're one of my favorite people I couldn't not write you something.

I know that we have lived completely different lives. We're so far apart in age that people probably think that you were my dad. You have lived through a lot more life than I have, and I just started college and have no idea what I want to do with my life. You are my favorite sibling because you have always taken care of me. You're one of the only people in the family worked for what he had. You inspire me to work hard for what I want no matter what obstacles or life challenges I want to use as excuses.

There isn't much advice that I can give you that you haven't already learned in life, but I will try. This is a new chapter, so start fresh. Try things you've never done before. Take me on more vacations. Be fearless in pursuit of whatever it is you wish for. Go for love, go for marriage, even if it terrifies you. Be open to the possibilities that love and life have to offer you. Even if you're scared it will crash and burn. It could. But it won't. I know. It gives me hope that someday I will be as happy as you are. That I won't be alone forever. But this piece isn't about me. It's about you and this great adventure you're starting today. I get to watch you give yourself to someone in the hope of a beautiful future. And I will be ugly crying from my seat, just watch. My big brother is getting married. To my big brother on his wedding day, enjoy the moment, and get ready for the crazy road ahead.

Yeah, that's too mushy. He'll slug me if I give him this albeit poetic note.

The house was quiet, and Amber wanted to take some time to get some work done before the house got busy and she wouldn't be able to concentrate.

She plopped onto the bed with her laptop, the dim lighting from the string lights enough for her to see her screen and work on her English paper. She hated these stupid prompts. She hated the fact that she had to take English 101 in the first place. She'd worked tooth and nail to graduate and was more than capable of skipping this class, but she hadn't gotten the credit because of all that nonsense.

Describe a person you look up to. What the hell kind of stereotype bullshit was this? She rolled her eyes. She was really tempted to just copy paste some section from her "book" into here. Ah well, she could just reword it.

Cassie. Mer. Alex. Who would be easiest? Definitely Alex. He'd been her protector since day one. This was going to be over the top mushy, and it grossed her out.

She began typing, and by the time she was working on her conclusion she could hear movement downstairs. It wasn't the usual calm movement, it sounded like someone running up the stairs excitedly. Usually, the kids were lighter when they darted up the stairs. It was one of the grownups.

The foster kid in her panicked. Why were they running up the stairs? Were they angry? Did she need to hide?

The fact that that was her instinct still terrified her. No one here would ever hurt her. Still, she quietly got off her bed and cracked the door open.

"Jo?" Her brother, walking up the stairs, looking confused. "What is it?"

She could hear the opening and closing of drawers in Alex's room, and he stood, leaning in the doorway, watching Jo.

"Ask me."

"Ask you...?" He was confused for a split second, then his face shifted with the realization. He walked into the room, something creaked, and it got quiet for a moment. "Are you sure, Jo? A lot of crap happened today..."