23

ok so this social worker part is probably not very realistic but i needed it for plot and relationship development. e n d g a m e   o m g 

i  l o v e  y o u  3 0 0 0 

what has our dear cassie done?

No matter how hard humans try to fill their voids, doing whatever they can to feel whole, they can't. But it gets hard sometimes. To get up in the morning. Do the same things over and over because you have to. Stressing yourself out. Being on the brink of tears, just needing a hug, but not being able to ask. But you get up, and you do all those things because you have to. You keep going. But how do you find the strength inside you when you just want to lay in bed forever?

Some function off of the people around them. They don't need to talk, but just need to know that they're there in close proximity. And that's something powerful. That one can feel safe and warm just by being near the people that they love. To go sit next to people just because it makes them feel better without having to actually say what's on their mind. And sometimes they just know without needing to say anything. And sometimes, they just know a hug is needed.

Humans are such complex creatures. They have the ability to keep going in the midst of disaster. Some of them function completely normally as nothing could ever phase them, while others feel as though it's impossible to go on. There's a medium in the spectrum that you must find. To be on one end, and to feel nothing is to be a cup of filling water that will at one point explode. The pressure will be built. Suffocation will occur. Breathing will become difficult. There has to be a medium where we feel as though we can survive standing on our own two feet.

So how do we keep going? Maybe we can't fill our voids. Maybe we can't fix ourselves and make ourselves less broken. But we do what we need to do to make ourselves whole, at least for as long as we can. To feel safe, to feel comfortable at the moment. Whatever we need.

"Well, what do you think?" Joel asked, letting Cassie walk through the front door of his new apartment. It was only a five-minute walk from Meredith's, which Cassie appreciated.

She eyeballed the big screen tv mounted to the wall, hooked up to some football game Cassie couldn't care about if she tried, and all the shiny stuff that screamed 'I am a rich doctor!' in big marquee lights.

"It's really nice." She commented.

"Open that door." He pointed to the door at the end of the hall.

Her mouth dropped open at the sight of a room that was, of course, designed just for her. That was the cliche thing that openly happened in the movies. Here was this guy that hadn't known she had existed until now that was offering to let her live with him. Knowing him, he would probably tell her that it was at her own pace, that she could still live with Meredith and come and go as she pleased. That she would always have a home with him.

The room was blue with a blue and black chevron comforter covering the white bed. He had left it relatively simple, probably going to offer to let her decorate it as she wished.

This was the kind of thing that only happened in movies.

"I know I just found out about you, and that we just met, but I want you to know that you will always have a home with me. I know you have a home with Meredith, and I would never want to take that away from you, but if you someday need a break from the chaos of living in that house, you are always welcome here."

She was right.

"I want to get to know you, of course, I do. But I feel like Meredith and Amber need me right now. And I need them. I hope you understand that this is a slow process because any faster and I will crumble."