1

Wow, Stephanie is starting another fanfic that she probably won't finish? Way to go Steph! Anyways, apparently it's not that easy to find 'Meredith's secret daughter' fanfiction... which is the best kind! This isn't that though... you'll see ;)

Set in early season 12... won't be exact canon. Derek is dead... but Callie is still around.

The bottom piece is modified from my grey's one shot (City of Angels) about our favorite characters in the afterlife. It makes sense to put it there, doesn't it? The characters are probably ooc, but this story is pretty fictional and pretty out there, so I think that should be expected.

I wish I knew Shonda Rhimes and Ellen Pompeo, but I don't. I don't own Grey's :(

There is a moment in your life when everything changes. It doesn't seem like it's possible that one second could completely change your life. The minute your first child is born, your first kiss, the second your dreams come true- all of these prove otherwise. Life is full of surprises. They range from excitement over a surprise party to the pain and disappointment when a loved one passes away. The surprise will either change your life for the better or the worst. As humans, we tend to assume the worst of the situation placed in front of us. It becomes a difficulty to figure out how to survive the problem at hand. It no longer seems possible that you will survive, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. There will come a day when the pain won't be what's giving you the energy to get through the day. The smile on your face, while shaped with pain, will be authentic. That smile, shaped with your triumphs and tears, is the most beautiful of all. The surprise that seemed like a catastrophe might be a blessing in disguise, even if you don't see it at the time. Eventually, your life will fall into place. You'll end up exactly where you're supposed to be. Or, at least, that's what we're told at the time. We just have to wait it out.

It was fine. It was all fine.

Meredith could hear Alex's interny voice in the back of her head. "You've said that word so many times it doesn't even feel like a word anymore."

He wasn't wrong in the slightest. And that sad part was, when that had been said, she thought that Addison Montgomery popping in and stealing Derek was the worst thing that had ever happened. Ten years later, after holding a bomb, drowning in Seattle, a shooting, a plane crash, giving birth in an electric storm, and losing the love of her life and sneaking away to have his baby... Addison didn't seem so daunting to her.

Did she mention how her best friend George died, her other friend Izzie got cancer, her person left her for Switzerland, and her sister died under a plane? Death followed her; it was inevitable. It didn't scare her anymore.

She walked around the hospital, the hospital that bore her name, clutching her white jacket that also had her sister's name on it. It was a daily reminder of her kid sister that died way too soon. She didn't talk about it, she didn't talk about things. She didn't ask Alex if he was thinking about Lexie. She didn't ask Jackson if he ever wondered about where she was.

Meredith was back to being just a tad dark and twisty. Her husband and sister were both dead. Her person was gone. She felt like she had as an intern. It was all a bit hopeless. No matter what she did, she wasn't going to win the fight. That being said, she didn't know if she believed that her husband and sister were up in heaven drinking at a bar. Her sister was laying six feet under, or at least what was left of her after animals fought over her body. Her husband was also six feet under. She didn't know if they were wandering around the hospital as spirits watching her. She didn't know.

She also was a bit uneasy about her other sister... the one that popped up out of nowhere. Her mother had a child... when she was already alive. She didn't know how she felt about that. She already has... had... a sister.