1.13 "Are We Clear?"

A few days later. At the conference hall. 

Mark sat down next to me.

I ignored him. 

Mark put a hand on my thigh. 

Me "you wanna loose that hand?"

Mark "you love my hand"

I warned him "Mark"

Mark took his hand away.

I nodded "good"

Richard walked on stage "Listen up, everyone. We're busy people, i'm gonna try and be brief. I am implementing a new teaching protocol here at Seattle Grace. Some of these rules are new, and some are old and are oging to be newly enforced. "

Everyone looked at each other confused. 

Richard "First, second and third-year residents will no longer be allowed to de facto specialize. The practice interferes with the development of a fully- rounded surgical education. no more. Personal relationships, personal loyalties and personal favorites will no longer be a factor in our training program. Attendings, you will spread your wealth of knowledge equally among all of the residents. In addition, we'll refocus our attention on patient communication and bedside manner. For some of us, this means learning the lost art of humanity compassion. For others, this means learning how to teat patients without becoming emotionally involved with them. This is a surgical program. Psychiatry is on the fifth floor. Let's not confuse the two. In addition, residents, your interns reflect on you. If they fail, you fail. If they succeed, you succeed. Attendings, that goes for residents as well. Teach with enthusiasm. Learn with enthusiasm. We are surgeons. We cut out malignancies. Let's start at home"

---

Derek " I didn't read the diary. I just found it and put it on the table."

Me " I would've read it."

Derek " Every time I actually do something to move into the house, she freaks out. "

Me "What are you gonna do with the trailer?"

Derek shook his head " No. "

Me "Come on."

Derek " 'Cause there's a very real possibility she kicks me out in a week. I'm not letting go of the trailer"

I chuckled. 

In a room. 

I looked at the monitor "So I'll make an incision ear to ear then peel down the face."

Derek " And I'll crack open his forehead, pull the tumor right out. "

I nodded "And we need to keep a close eye on the optic nerve. Somebody twitches, and this guy's blind. Which one of your roommates will be assisting? "

Derek looked at me amused "which one do you want?"

I asked fake excited "what? i get to choose?"

Derek nodded "mhm"

Me "with what do i deserve that?"

Derek "well, if you don't want to choo-"

Me "Karev"

Derek nodded "Good choice"

I smiled "i know"

Izzie stormed in " Dr. Shepherd, I want back on this case. This is my patient. Alex stole him from me. Remember when I was telling you that ... "

Derek "Dr. Stevens, let's be clear. In this hospital, I am not your roommate. I don't give a crap about your personal problems. I have a resident. I don't need another one. "

Alex walked in "Dr. Shepherd."

Derek " Yes?"

Me "yes?"

Alex " Patient's in his room if you want to go over the procedure with him. "

Derek nodded "Great. "

Izzie growled at Alex "You son of a bitch. "

Alex "Go cry to somebody who cares. "

Then he walked away. 

Izzie shook her head and looked at me "This is my case. It isn't fair. "

Me "Surgery's like the wild west. You didn't get your claim in Montana from the bank. You got it 'cause you put a fence around it and shot the ass off anyone who walked by. Karev's a cowboy. You're not. "

I gagged a little "oh my god i'm starting to sound like Mark"

Then i walked out.  

At the OR. 

I walked into the scrubbing room and saw Izzie and Alex arguing. 

Alex "You stole my surgery. It's my surgery. "

Izzie "Using me as a doormat is one thing. Screwing with my career is another. I have been wiping your snot and covering your ass for weeks now, and all you've done is abuse me. And for a little while, you get to do that because you're heartbroken and pathetic, and I'm a good friend, but it ends now. Get your own surgeries and wipe your own snot. "

Alex looked at me "Dr. Shepherd, that's my surgery. "

Derek walked up behind me "The patient made the request, Karev. Nothing I can do. "

I looked at him before looking at Alex "You can assist me"

Derek "..Meli-"

Me "i want Karev, okay? Stevens can assist you and Karev can assist me"

Derek didn't like the idea at all. 

I looked at Karev "Scrub in. We're up first"

He nodded.

In the OR.

I slowly cut open the patient's forehead " We're doing a bicoronal incision. Expect a lot of bleeding. Once I get going, it'll all happen fast, so stay with me. "

Derek "Stevens, grab a bovie. "

I nodded "Karev, you too"

They nodded.

I took a deep breath "All right. here we go. "

Then i slowly peeled down the patient's face "Karev, secure the skin and then move to the side. You and i are done for now"

Karev nodded and secured the skin. 

He and i moved to the side. 

Derek and Izzie moved to the front and did their work. 

Suddenly a kid and George walked inside.  

The kid asked confused "Where'd that guy's face go? "

Me "You lost, O'Malley?"

George " Sorry."

The he grabbed he boy and rushed out with him. 

At the bar. night. 

I walked over to Alex and Izzie who were sitting at the bar. 

Me " just the people I was looking for. "

Alex nodded "hey, Melanie. Thanks by the way"

I nodded "your welcome. But, uhm, just to be clear ... you two ever pull that crap on one of my cases again, I will have you thrown out of the program."

Izzie nodded, surprised. 

I looked at Alex "Clear?"

He nodded.