1.17 Merger

A few weeks later. 

A few things happened in he past weeks. Izzie and Alex married. Izzie had lost her memories after Derek took out her tumor and George died saving a woman. 

Mark and i moved in across the hospital. Our apartment is nice. Callie's apartment is right across from ours which is also nice. 

I was in my bedroom when i heard Mark and Lexie come into the apartment. 

Lexie "who's boxes are those?"

Mark "Mel's"

no response. 

Mark asked worried "what's wrong?"

Lexie " So, um... Did you forget to mention that are moving in with your hot, hardcore ex sex friend ?"

Mark "did i?"

Lexie "yeah. Yeah, you did."

I stepped out of my bedroom "hello"

Lexie smiled at me, blushing "and you forgot to mention that she's here"

At the hospital. at a nurse station. 

Mark and i were looking at the meeting room from across the room. 

The Chief was in there with a few suits, it looked serious. Oh shit.

Mark "More suits? It's freaking people out. Talk of downsizing, corporate takeover, rumors that Webber's jumping ship. You've got the chief's ear. What's he got planned? "

Me " He's retiring. They're making Derek chief. "

Mark looked at me with wide eyes"No!  Really?"

I nodded " Yeah. "

Mark "Wow. Yep. Mm-hmm. I mean, the chief never said anything to me. I would've fought him  hard for that. But hell, I guess if that's what he wants, congratulations are in order. "

I smirked at him. 

Mark froze "Wait. That was... You're messing with me?"

I nodded " It's just too easy. "

He chuckled "You got a mean streak, you know that? "

I smiled, nodding "Yes"

Night. 

Chief "The economic climate is... You all know what it is. In the coming weeks, Seattle Grace Hospital will be merging with Mercy West. "

Everyone started to look at each other. 

Chief" I wish I could tell you you'll all survive the merger, but there are only so many jobs. And the board and I have some tough choices to make. I'm on your side, people. I'm rooting for every one of you. All I can say is please, be at your very best. "

I sighed. 

Next day. morning. At an OR. 

Alex rolled in another patient. Everyone was on edge because of the merger. 

Derek "Karev, what do you got? 16-year-old helmeted dirt bike victim. G. C. S. 15 reported before intubation. "

I nodded "Okay."

Alex " I'm gonna scrub in. "

Then he walked out.