twenty-two

"dongsook," the teacher called, "kindly collect your classmates' homework and bring it to my office before dismissal."

the girl was confused. "but ms, that's the class president's job—"

"and i'm the class teacher. class dismissed."

when the teacher left, their classmates started handing over their homeworks to dongsook and kept avoiding eye contact at seri who was just beside her. some students did spare her a glance, some even giggled after it.

but seri tried her best to ignore it and to just shrug it off. before dongsook can even say something, she gave her an assuring smile. "it's fine. it's just collecting stuffs."

dongsook heaved a sigh of relief. "atleast you don't need to do these shit. you'll be late on the meeting otherwise."

seri's brows furrowed. "meeting? what meeting?"

dongsook's eyes widen. "you don't know? mark told me the student council will have a meetin— fuck..."

seri smiled again, "it's fine."

dongsook shook her head. she knows how important it is for seri and the way she smiles pained her.

"i fucking don't get it. what did you do? you did nothing wrong!" dongsook complained full of frustrations.

seri just gave another smile. "it's fine."

▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

"is that mine?" jaemin asks a donghyuck when he saw an extra iced americano on his hand when he arrived at the rooftop.

dongsook took a seat at the old cajon that was near jaemin. he handed jaemin the extra drink and he immediately got it and took a quick sip.

"it's been a month. is renjun talking to you? i can't reach him," the sunkissed male said as he stared at the sky above them.

jaemin shook his head. "no. but he called me a couple of days ago... he said he's fine..." jaemin glanced at donghyuck. "he also asked me about seri."

"and speaking of her, you still keep giving her stuffs?"

donghyuck heaved a sigh. "i still have a long way to go to compensate for the pain i have caused her."

jaemin scoffed. "to be honest, tou really don't have to be sorry hyuck. i mean, kissing her infront of everybody, well that was such an asshole move but aside from that, you did nothing wrong."

donghyuck stayed quite and just finished his drink. after that, he slipped out a box of cigarette. donghyuck was about to light it up when he heard a deafening siren.

"what's happening?" jaemin stood up from his seat to look down on the ground and saw everyone running around.

"let's go down."

the both of them rushed downnthe stairs. donghyuck immediately started to find her sister in the crowd.

"hyuck!" jaemin called him as he looked back.

"dongsook's there," he said, pointing at the area where some teachers were standing at.

donghyuck ran towards her sister and saw her eyes sparkle in tears. she was talking to a teacher, and it didn't seem like a calm a conversation. sookie was looking frustrated while arguing about something to the male teacher.

"i need to go there!" dongsook yelled while pointing at the building.

jaemin and donghyuck's jaw dropped when they saw the building that sookie was pertaining to was covered in dark smoke and some flames were seen coming from the fourth floor.

donghyuck rushed towards her sister to held her back and stoo her from attempting to go pass through the teacher.

"do not worry, help is on the way," the teacher said calmly to assure her.

dongsook aggressively shook her head. "my friend is there! and it's on fire! she'll— dammit! you won't understand!"

"dongsook, what do you mean friend?" donghyuck asked.

"seri! i need to help her!" dongsook shrieked.

donghyuck clenched his jaw. he ran his fingers through his hair before facing jaemin. he gestured him to hold dongsook. after that, he ran pass through the teacher.

"lee donghyuck!"