Chapter 8

"N-no," she shook her head quickly, trying to push herself up, "you're not, I already have a dad!"

The other NightWing, Quickstrike, narrowed his eyes a little at that before shaking his head.

"I truly am your father, I still remember the night you were stolen from me as an egg."

"I was never stolen!" She exclaimed with an angry flap of her wings. "I was hatched and raised inside the mountain! Mother and Father said so! And so does everyone else!"

"Everyone else? You mean that group of hopeless dragons your mother keeps around? Do any of them truly know where you can from?"

"Yes! They were all there at the ceremony!"

Quickstrike gave her an odd look before he held up one of his talons, there was nothing special about it, it just had the same odd markings as hers. Lydia had odd pinkish-red tones scales on her talons, front and back. She had them on her snout as well, same with her tail. Quickstrike has the same marking on his talons, the colour going just above his wrist.

His scales weren't a pinky colour though, instead his were a warm dusty brown.

"You see any other dragon with these marks? In our family, only those who have them pass em on. More proof that you're mine and we're taken from me as an egg." He told her with a snort, "I still clearly remember that night, it was awful. I thought some creature came and took you, when in reality it was your mother."

Lydia kept herself from speaking out this time, she didn't believe a word this dragon said, but...she was curious on what he meant about how she had been stolen. I was never stolen, she told herself with a flick of her ear.

"You were due t'hatch in a weeks time, I watched you day n'night to make sure nothing happened to you. You were my first dragonet, I wouldn't lose you." He started with a shake of his head, "you were such a fidgety thing, always tryin' to run from me."

The birds continued to chirp around them, filling the air with their soft songs while the wind softly whistled.

Quickstrike's eyes gleamed in a saddened way as he thought back upon that day. He shuffled himself ever so slightly, the sunlight glinting off of something wrapped around his neck. When Lydia looked down at it, she saw it was a leather strap necklace with two things hanging off of it. One being a sparkling silver key while the other was a smooth, silver ring.

"I look away for one moment," her scarlet red eyes shot back up from his neck wear, meeting his, "and when I look back you'd be at the other end of the room and outa yer nest."

"How did you....lose me?" She hated the words that left her mouth, they tasted sour, tasted wrong.

Quickstrike gave her a sorrowful look with a flick of his tail, he had the same tail markings as her too, through his was more of a thin stripe while Lydia's nearly wrapped around her whole tail. He didn't have her facial markings though, his face looked like any other NightWing's, marking-less.

"It was a stormy night, one of the worst I had ever seen. The winds howling madly as though they wanted to rip apart all of Pyrrhia. The hut we lived in was being torn to shreds and we had to evacuate the village to move to the nearby valley."

"I carried you in this," Quickstrike reached out with his talons, moving aside the two large sacks of treasure to pull out something behind it. An egg harness. It was solid black, it's fabric looking smooth and soft. "Going through that rain and wind was horrible, it felt like going through a battle field. I wasn't expecting your mother to show up out of no where, I remember shouting at her, asking why she was here...."