Chapter 3.

A/N: I know that's Loki but I thought this quote fit. Tell me what you think 🤔 😉
Oh and thank you to Glassesgirl24 for giving me the idea for Mia's backstory as well as the main plot for the next couple of chapters...Thanks so much!! 🙏🙏😊
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A year later...
3rd POV:
Mia was walking by when she heard of someone coming to Downton. A lord or Duke or someone. She didn't know who it was, so she kept on with her work. The Crawleys were hosting a house party since Mr. Matthew died in the car crash. Mia had gotten to know Mr. Matthew Crawley quite well as he had always been kind to her, despite her clumsiness that occasionally showed itself. She was heartbroken when he died, especially because Lady Mary had just their baby as well, after so long of not being able to. As everyone processed their grief, Lady Grantham decided to have a house party to bring some old friends into the house and liven up the place. The whole family agreed and with Lady Mary coming out of her terrible depression, she was getting better every day. Mia was excited about the prospect of a party. She had seen house parties before when she worked at Lord Gillingham's estate. She left when something traumatic happened and she left. After she came to Downton, she was pleased to see guests and help serve at magnificent parties again after a long time of not doing so. Mia came downstairs and sat down to eat her luncheon. She was buzzing with excitement. Thomas noticed as he sat next to her. He chuckled " What's got you so excited, love? Is luncheon so exciting you can't wait?" Mia smiled at the dark haired male "No, Thomas. It's just this house party is so exciting. I haven't served at one in a while. " He smirked " A while? You've served at one before? " She nodded " I used to work for Lord Gillingham as a maid and substitute ladies' maid for guests. I left because I needed something new. And some family problems as well." Thomas smirked as he took a drag on his cigarette " Well, you'll be seeing your old master again, love, because he's been invited to the house party and he's got his eye on Lady Mary. " He chuckled as Mia paled. No, she thought, not again. Mia looked ahead as her heart sped up. Thomas looked at her and his smirk was replaced with concern and worry "Love, you alright? " She nodded and they ate their luncheon in peace. After, Mia was about to walk upstairs but Thomas stopped her before she left. He smiled "Mia, love, you forgot your book the other night. I wanted to give it back to you. " Mia smiled " Thank you, Thomas. Now I must go tend to Lady Grantham. " Thomas stopped her again and tilted her chin up " Are you sure you're alright, Mia? You know you can tell someone right, if something, or someone, is troubling you? " She nodded and walked upstairs. Thomas cast a worried glance towards Mia's back and then went about his business.

Mia's POV:
As I tended to Lady Grantham to prepare her for dinner, I thought of the house party and I prayed that his valet would not be there, even though he may have to. I was terribly anxious and Lady Grantham noticed. She smiled gently "Greythorn, are you alright? You seem a bit on edge. " I smiled " Yes, I am, m'lady. I am just excited about the party I guess. " She smiled "Well, I'm glad. Thank you for your help, Greythorn. " I nodded and left. Dinner went well and after I finished helping Lady Grantham, I came downstairs and sat down beside Thomas and read my book. It helped calm me a little, and I could also tell that Thomas was sending concerned glances my way. I squeezed his hand in affirmation and he turned back to his newspaper. I sighed and continued to read until it was time to turn in. I bid goodnight to everyone and went to bed. I climbed in my bed and fell into a restless sleep.
3rd POV:
As Mia slept restlessly, her dreams began to take a dark turn. She was chased by her attacker down an endless hallway until he stood over her cowering body. Mia screamed, alerting the whole staff. Everyone woke up, including Anna and Mr. Bates. They all rushed to Mia's room. Anna opened the door, and ran over to Mia's bed. She shook her awake. Mia sat up in an instant, tears streaming down her face, and her face distorted in fear. She looked around and then broke down. Anna held her as she cried. Anna asked if she would be okay, and Mia nodded. She left her side and walked out along with the rest. But, they didn't see a dark haired man that hadn't left. Thomas walked in and sat down beside her. He looked at her with worry and sympathy. He hugged her and she broke down in his arms. Her chest shook with sobs and Thomas's heart broke seeing the girl he loved, so afraid and broken. He just held her, wishing, no, praying Mia would be okay....

A/N: Hey! Hope you enjoyed this little chapter. And I hope it gave you a little glimpse of Mia's backstory. More to come: Will Thomas confess or will he stay quiet because of his fear? Will Mia tell Thomas the truth? Who knows? Daily Thomas pic below 👇:

 More to come: Will Thomas confess or will he stay quiet because of his fear? Will Mia tell Thomas the truth? Who knows? Daily Thomas pic below 👇:

Ugh Jimmy, I hated him...enjoy the next chapter!