𝟏. 𝐛𝐨𝐲 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐝

𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑:

Bolting awake, my breath heaved as sweat dripped down my neck. My phone was buzzing on my birch side table, a sweet tune playing from the speakers. Shutting off my alarm clock, I wiped my forehead and glanced around my room. 

Eagerly wanting the dream to fade to the back of my mind, I swung my legs out of my bed. A twinge of coldness flooded through my body as my bare feet touched the hardwood floors of my bedroom. 

As far as I could remember, I lived in this flat by myself. I mean, I wasn't always alone, especially when Kiara invites herself over whenever she wants to hang out. But other than that, I've been taking on New York all by myself. 

Making my way into the kitchen, I grabbed an apple and took a quick bite, the sweet taste mixing with toothpaste. Glancing towards the clock, I saw that I had twenty minutes to get to school. Bayshore High School was only ten minutes away, on a good day, and I had enough time to pull all my things together and catch Kiara before class began. 

Shoving my notebooks into my bag, as well as a loose pen, I zipped it closed. Something dark, maybe a shadow by the looks of it, flashed past the window as my eyes bolted up. I stared in silence, my head whipping around in hopes of catching another glimpse of whatever I thought I saw before. 

My mind raced, pulling together strands of my imagination and creating something of its own. Did I see a pair of eyes that were glowing bright green? Did I see I full body that moved at lightning speed? I would never fully know, now that my mind was filling in the blanks for me. 

Coming to the realization that it wasn't anything important, and I was just spooking myself, I slung my bag over my shoulder and headed towards my front door. Snatching my keys from the dish, I closed the door and locked it behind me. 

✦ ✦ ✦ 

"Where have you been?" An Asian girl exclaimed as I slammed my locker closed, easily taken aback by her burst of energy. "I've been waiting for you all morning, what took so long?"

"Other than a large amount of traffic the bus caught on the way here, not much," I replied as I shoved my textbook into my bag and closed it. 

"Well, I have the best news," She gleamed, her smile easily lighting up the hallway. 

"Mr. Lenginton is sick and we don't have to do the test today?" I grinned and she frowned, 
"Damn it," I muttered as we walked down the hallway, shoulders brushing against other students who were deep into their own conversations.