𝟗. 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐞

𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐏𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐆𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓 the windshield as turned the corner, entering a small area of trees and a singular road without any median strip to distinguish if it was a one or two-way street.

As the wipers squealed, I tried to get a good idea of where I was. The GPS said that I was in Thomaston, Maine, but without any signs, it was hard to tell. Sighing, I leaned back in my seat and grabbed my phone. Taking a quick glance, I knew that it was going to die any second and I didn't have anything to change it with.

Suddenly, as if it appeared out of nowhere, a car came flying down the road, their horn wailing as they came closer. "Shit!" I gasped as I dropped my phone and pulled the wheel to the right, avoiding the car by a millimetre. "Sorry!" I yelled, even though they wouldn't be able to hear me.

Attempting to keep my eyes on the road, and grab my phone that had dropped under my seat, was useless. I sat up straight, giving up on the GPS. I continued down the deserted road as the rain began to slow down, but the dark clouds still swarmed the sky.

Giving my gut a chance, I pulled over for a second. Instead of grabbing my phone, I grabbed my bag and reached into one of the pockets. Between my two fingers, I took out the bent postcard and held it in my hands.

The picture was still shiny and bright, but the crease down the middle damaged the quality of it. Flipping it over, I stared at the back, hoping there was some sort of writing on it like before. But I was wrong. The first text had disappeared and the postcard was now blank.

I knew this postcard was magic, and I knew that it was real, because I have no clue how I would explain what I can do if it wasn't. As I moved to put the postcard away, thunder clapping in the distance, it began to glow. Turning it over, a new sentence was appearing on the back in thin, black writing.

Keep driving; follow your gut.

I rolled my eyes. My gut wasn't going to give me the directions, nevertheless lead me to a town that won't show up on a map. "You know you're really making me regret my decision to come here," I retorted at the postcard before tossing it back in my bag.

Pulling away from the side of the road, I continued on, trying to figure out how to use my gut to navigate. Music played softly as I drove, the rain now completely disappearing, and the clouds moving away to reveal a bright sunset.

As the car bumped against lone pebbles, birds began flying around in the sky, tweeting happily as they did so. The trees grew larger, while their canopy leaves towered over the road, reflecting a soft green from the sun.

In the distance, I could see a four-way stop and I figured that I would just continue straight. As I pulled up, no stop sign to be seen, I changed my mind, yanking the wheel to the right before I could miss the turn.

I stared at the wheel as I drove down the street, unsure why I decided to turn instead of keep going straight; and that's when I saw it. At the end of the long road filled with trees and other types of vegetation, was a sign.