21

August 24, 1996

Harry had been at the Weasleys for two weeks now. (Hermione had arrived a few days after him.) They'd received their O.W.L. results, and Harry had passed all his lessons except Divination and Potions. He was upset about the Potions grade, because it would mean that he couldn't become an Auror— Something he'd been told he'd be good at. (Even if it had been by a Death Eater.)

Today, the Weasleys, Hermione, and Harry would be going to Diagon Alley to buy school supplies. Molly hadn't wanted to go until Arthur had the day off since it had become unsafe now that Voldemort had returned. (Or rather now that everyone knew he'd returned.)

So at ten o'clock on Saturday morning, they all floo-ed to the Leaky Cauldron. Because Harry was number one on Voldemort's hit list, the Ministry had set up a guard. Harry did not like the idea of a bunch of stuffy wizards and witches following him everywhere. Especially since he was hoping he'd be able to see Draco.

So when they saw Hagrid waiting for them next to the brick wall, Harry was a lot happier. But his good mood disappeared the second they were on the other side of the wall.

Diagon Alley was very different from when Harry had been there last month with Draco. While it hadn't been as busy, it was still fun and cheery. Now however, it was downright depressing. Anxious parents were rushing their children in and out of stores. No one seemed to be alone; Everyone was walking in twos and threes. Shops were boarded up. And there wasn't a single smile in sight.

"So, where should we go first?" Molly asked, checking her list. "You lot need new robes, and then we also need books."

"We can split up," Harry suggested. "Ron, Hermione and I can get our robes, and then we'll meet up in an hour."

Molly did not look pleased with this idea at all, but Hagrid said, "Don't yeh worry! I'll go with 'em, Molly."

"That's a good idea!" Arthur said. "We'll meet back here in an hour then."

And they split up; Molly, Arthur, and Ginny heading to the Flourish and Blotts, and Harry, Ron, Hermione and Hagrid heading down the street to Madam Malkin's.

Harry was looking around at passersby, checking for a specific blonde-haired, grey-eyed wizard.

"Harry, you do know it's possible you won't run into Malfoy?" Hermione asked, as they turned a corner.

Harry had told her and Ron about the letter he'd received from Draco, and his concerns about it.

"Hermione, you don't understand," Harry said, trying to keep his voice even. "Draco and I were on really good terms- His letter made no sense! Why would he just stop writing, if he wasn't in some sort of trouble?"

"Are you sure you're not reading too much into it?" Hermione asked. "It is Malfoy...."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Harry asked testily.

Hermione quickly backtracked, "That's not what I meant! I'm just trying to say- Well- His family is on Voldemort's side...."

"Draco's not like his family!" Harry snapped.

Harry pulled open the door to Madam Malkin's, and they heard a drawling voice snap, "Watch where you're sticking those pins, woman!"