26

Harry was in Dumbledore's office for another lesson.

"Harry, I have only one memory for you today," Dumbledore said.

Dumbledore uncorked the memory and poured it into the Pensieve.

Harry lowered his head into the surface of the Pensieve, and he fell into darkness, before landing next to a group of boys. Harry instantly noticed Tom Riddle. He was the most handsome of them, and seemed to be the group's leader.

Professor Slughorn was sitting in an armchair, his pudgy fingers reaching for another crystallized pineapple.

"You're quite right, Tom," Professor Slughorn said. "These are my favorite."

Tom and his friends snickered.

"Sir?" Tom asked, his voice silky and inquisitive. "Is it true that Professor Merrythought is no longer going to be teaching?"

Slughorn wagged a sugar coated finger at Tom in a reproving manner. "Now Tom, I can't tell you that.... I don't know how do you get your information. Now, you didn't hear it from me, but yes."

A clock chimed.

"Good gracious!" Slughorn jumped. "Is it that time already? You boys best run along, or you'll be caught past curfew! Avery, I want that Potions essay on my desk Monday morning! You too, Crabbe!"

The boys filed out of the room; All except Tom.

"Now Tom, you'd best hurry along- I know your a prefect, but still...."

"Sir, I wanted to know if I could ask you something?" Tom asked.

"Ask away, m'boy. Ask away." Slughorn said airily.

"I was in the library the other night, reading, when I came across something I couldn't quite understand. I was wondering if you might know what... Horcruxes are."

The scene suddenly turned black, like Harry was floating in inky water, and Slughorn's voice suddenly sounded very far away.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Slughorn said, sounding angry. "Get out of my office! Don't ever talk about that again! GET OUT!"

And Harry was rushed back up to the surface.

"What happened?" Harry asked Dumbledore.

"This memory has been tampered with..." Dumbledore explained. "I need the true memory. And I'd like you to get it for me, Harry."

"Me? But Sir, surely you could get it from Professor Slughorn?"

"Ah, perhaps.... However if I were to go, he would know what I was after, and therefore he would try his best to forget the memory altogether. However, you Harry, will be able to. We will continue our lessons once you've procured the memory. Good night."

"Good night, Professor." Harry said, and left the office.

≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈

Draco breathed shakily as he read the contents of the letter again. The Dark Lord was getting impatient, and his mother was getting more anxious. If he failed this, according to Aunt Bella, Draco would be killed. And she would be there to watch.