~ 41 ~

KIT'S KNEES WERE WEAK at the sound. This cry felt worse than all the others. He tried to block the cries out in the past, like he blocked out the image of his mother's corpse, but he couldn't ignore them anymore. The sound shook his core and sent him down to the snow, hand clasped over his aching chest.

Everyone else was in tears, but he was feeling the worst of it and they all saw it. This cry was for him. He wished he couldn't hear.

Chalice and Eurion were at his side, helping him cover his ears and whispering whatever words of comfort they could muster in the midst of their own turmoil.

It went on for what felt like an eternity before he was released from the banshee's hold. He looked up to find Morgana in no better shape, to his surprise. He was curled up against Giselle's chest, eyes wide and tearful. Giselle looked at Selene with a furrowed brow, like she didn't know where this reaction was coming from.

Kit didn't stand and Morgana didn't step away for a long while. He wondered what it was Morgana was feeling, and why it was he and Kit that felt the worst of the cries.

Chalice and Eurion helped Kit to his feet, his legs too shaky to do it on his own. Morgana finally stepped away, flipping his hood over his head and hiding his face. His shoulders remained slumped.

"We should get back to our walk," Kit said, dusting off his hands.

"Are you sure?" asked Selene.

"We don't have time to wait for me to feel better," he said. "Let's just go."

Chalice and Selene moved to grab Morgana again, but Giselle stepped in between them.

"It'll be okay for now. Just keep an eye on him," she told them. Kit didn't think it was a good idea to let him walk free, but he was too tired to fight it. He walked behind everyone again, this time because he didn't want them all to see him, but Morgana hung back just in front of him. Giselle knew the way, she'd lead them.

The others were several feet away from the two. Kit didn't want to talk to Morgana, but he needed an answer.

"Why did that shake you up so much?" he asked, voice tentative.

Morgana didn't say anything, and Kit settled back into silence. "Sorry."

"It reminded me of their screams," he finally said.

Kit paused, but Morgana didn't. He had to run to catch up. "Whose screams?"

"My people's. Your brother showed me a vision, but it came from my mother so I know it was true," Morgana explained. "I heard all of their screams, every last one. It felt like that, Kit."

Kit set his jaw. "You know I'd never let that happen to you, or anyone."

"Don't try to change my mind on this," Morgana said. "Until I know for sure that nothing bad will happen to them, I'll do everything I can to keep Camelot from coming back."

Kit swallowed his next words, and they were quiet until they stopped to eat. It was still awkward between the two, but the light chatter between the others was enough of a distraction, just while they were there.

They continued walking until their legs grew tired, and then they walked more. The Winter Kingdom was cold and empty and Kit felt like something would jump out any moment and get them killed. It held an eerie atmosphere, and he missed the daylight the moment it was gone.

There was no moon tonight. It was pitch dark save for Giselle's torch and the faint glow of her hair and Lionel's eyes. It was colder, too. Even Morgana was shivering.

"We have to stop," Kit said. "I can't move anymore."

Giselle agreed and they settled in a clearing with a large fire to warm them. Even with the warm flame, no one sleep alone except for Morgana. Kit wrapped Lionel up in his arms, trying to warm the boy as best we he could.