Chapter 2

Lena woke up the next morning with tangling thoughts webbing their way through her brain. The location, the motive, and the murder weapon spun frightening tales her thoughts dare not encode. She would be laying here all day if she did.

She had a spinning suspicion that the family hosting her had woken already, but she remained quiet, nevertheless, as she prepared her morning appearance. There was a vanity just across from her bed that she walked over to with haste. It would only add to her embarrassment if they had prepared a breakfast for her and she missed showing up for it all together.

She picked up her trunk and carried it over to the chair, desk, and mirror set. She placed it on the flat surface and began rummaging through it to find her hairbrush. Once she was holding it in her hand, she began to stroke it through her freshly woken hair.

Her brown waves separated and fell with each brush as she stared at the moving portrait across from her. The brown-almost-curly hair, ridged nose, and poison green eyes wouldn't give her away here if she didn't let it. No one knew her in Augsburg. She wouldn't have to worry about being "too Jewish" or "too Prussian" if she didn't tell them herself that that was who she was. It was improper to comment on a lady's appearance.

Her accent might give her away, but that she could pass off as English. No one knew- except for the Count, of course. She had to enclose that part of her life in order to get this position. The Berlin magistrate had been one of her references.

The Count didn't seem to mind that. Though his own father was serving the King in the plight against the budding Prussian empire, he could not care less that she belonged to that same kingdom. All he wanted was her brain, which was a first.

After all the tangles had been forcibly removed from her hair, she moved onto dressing herself. She once again plunged into the depths of her trunk for a gown suitable for the day. She would be meeting the Count today; her dress could be no less than perfect.

She eventually settled on a gown made of deep red fabric, slim velvet sleeves, and a swirl patterned trim. The skirt was only one layer but would give off an appearance of a much larger volume once the crinoline was added under.

The dresses shade of mahogany was the color of the Wimmer coat of arms. She hoped the Count would take this consideration as a sign of good faith, for she could not afford any ill received first impressions.

In a pace faster than the wind, Lena slipped on her drawers, exchanged her stockings, tied her hair up with a ribbon, fastened her skirt, and laced together her corset with the back facing front. She then flipped the corset around and began working on the crinoline.

Putting it on was about ten times harder than taking it off. She tried to fasten most of it before stepping into it but there was only so much she could do. Most of the work would be spent desperately trying to maneuver the contraption under the red skirt.

After minutes of uncomfortably bending and shifting to get the wired cage in place, she was finally fully dressed. All that was left to do was to step into her beloved pair of practical black shoes, and she was off.

Angeline and Gregory must have heard the door shut behind her, because as she ascended the stairs, both of their heads had already been turned towards her.

"You look lovely, my dear," Angeline greeted her as she approached the bottom of the crystal staircase. "The cook has just finished with the food, please take breakfast with us if you'd like."

"I would be most delighted to. Thank you both so much for your hospitality."

"It is our pleasure," Gregory said as he started towards the dining room.