Chapter 6

Angeline came to a few minutes later. Lena had gently turned her around so that the first thing she saw when she woke was not her husband's dead body.

While Angeline's head lay unconscious on Lena's lap, Victor had instructed the coachman to go fetch the people at Gloggerson. It would be matter of minutes, now, before they arrived.

Victor had passed the time by examining every inch of the crime scene. The blood on the floor, blood on the wall, height of the body from the ground, and nature of the wounds on his face and torso were all taken note of by the forensics expert.

Lena didn't want to see any more of it. The mental picture that already burned into her mind was enough for her. Instead, she kept an internal count of how long it would be before she heard the thud of the body falling to the ground.

"Gregory ... ," Angeline said between breaths as she woke. "No- no."

"I'm so sorry Angeline."

"No, it's not- it had to be a nightmare. He was- he was floating."

Before Lena could move to stop her, Angeline sat up and turned her head to the scene.

"What ... h-h-how?"

"Angeline, I think we should go outside." Lena placed a hand on her back.

"No." Angeline began to stand. "Gregory?"

The name made Lena's heart shatter into a million pieces. It was one thing to look at the photographs; it was a completely different experience to smell the blood, see the corpse, and have known the victim.

Angeline grasped Gregory's face with both her hands. "Gregory."

"She's in shock," Victor told Lena.

Lena was probably in shock herself.

Just then, Mr. Schwarz, Mr. Ebony, and Ms. Lafontaine barged into the house. Michael trailed behind them.

Faster than lightning, Mr. Schwarz began setting up his photography equipment while Ms. Lafontaine and the coroner began to take notes. "Get her out of here," the Austrian detective instructed Lena.

With a gentle hand, Lena wrapped her arms around her friend and escorted her out of the house. Blood smeared Angeline's hands and dripped down her forearms.

They were greeted by Alice and Dr. Mckailey on the other side of the door. Additionally, Michael had followed them out.

"Do you have anyone we can send for, my dear?" Dr. Mckailey questioned.

Angeline took a minute to comprehend the question he had just asked. "No. Gregory's all I have- all I had."

Her voice cracked a little at the 'had'. The words seemed to take a lot out of Angeline.

Lena turned to Michael. "Can she please stay at the manor?" Her eyes pleaded with the Count in a manner she had never employed before.

She could practically hear the wheels turning in Michael's head, but before he could voice his answer, Alice interjected, "absolutely not."

"That's enough, Alice," Michael glared darts into Alice.

His sister's stance never wavered, though.

"Dr. Mckailey, if you could please direct Mrs. Pospischill back to the manor, it would be much appreciated," Michael instructed.

The doctor placed a hand on Angeline's back and began to lead her away from the scene.