Chapter 7

Questioning Angeline the next afternoon was a burden on her heart. She hadn't changed out of the gown she had worn yesterday, and bags had formed under her eyes that suggested she hadn't slept at all that night.

"We just need you to answer a few questions, okay," Lena spoke in the softest voice she could manage. "Can you do that for us?"

Apparently, Angeline hadn't spoken to anyone other than Dr. Mckailey since she had gotten here. In their meeting an hour ago, the doctor said that he hadn't asked her any questions regarding the case. He reasoned that it would be best if he left that to the rest of the team. They had nominated Angeline to question her. Everyone thought it would be best if she talked to a friendly face.

Victor had accompanied her for support. "Do you think you'll be able to answer our questions, Angeline?" He repeated Lena's question. "If not, we can always come back tomorrow."

Lena and Victor both knew that time was not a luxury they had. The perpetrator was speeding up his clock, and if they didn't identify him soon, he could strike next in as soon as five days. Angeline needed to answer their questions.

Ever so slowly, Angeline finally nodded.

"Thank you so much, Angeline. This will help us a great deal," Lena said. "Did Gregory ever work in the house of one of his employers?"

Angeline shook her head.

"Did he ever have a job that required him to occasionally venture into the house of one of his employers?"

She once again shook her head.

"Was he ever in the employ of anyone who required him to interact with their cook?" Victor questioned.

Angeline once again shook her head.

"Was there anything suspicious at all that you can note for us? Any enemies that your husband might have had?" Lena was grappling for anything. They just needed something- even a speck of information- to go off of.

To her disappointment, though, Angeline shook her head.

This was taking them nowhere. The knowledge of the mysterious cook was the only theory they had. Without Angeline knowing who that was, they could question her no further.

"I think we should let Angeline get some rest," Lena suggested to Victor as she placed her journal back into her pocket.

Victor nodded in agreement as they turned to exit the room.

Just as Lena placed her hand on the doorknob, though, Angeline spoke. "There is something."

Lena and Victor whipped their heads around to face her. "What is it?" She asked.

"I didn't think much of it, but if there's a chance it might help you, then I'll share it."

Lena sat back down in the chair beside Angeline's bed.

"Gregory- umm," Angeline swallowed. "Well, he was a steward for a man named Lord Rhodes before we moved here. The Viscount was a nice man, and Gregory enjoyed working for him."

Angeline took a deep breath.

"But one day Gregory came home from a meeting angered. He told me that the Viscount had enlisted the help of a man whom he called his personal secretary, and that this new employ had taken over all his job responsibilities."

Angeline could not look Lena in the eyes as she told her the next part. "A week later Gregory was let go from his services to Lord Rhodes with a reference and the last month's pay. He was then employed here. The weirdest part of this, though, was that Gregory sent a letter to the Viscount after he was employed here, thanking him for his reference and wishing him and his secretary well." Angeline's eyes finally met Lena's, "the Viscount wrote back and said he had no idea what personal secretary Gregory was referring to."