Chapter 3

The awkwardness of the room was unbearable. She could feel it circulating amongst the bashing auras of the nine people at the table. Everyone had prejudices and woes they dare not express. At least, not yet.

"The town's favorite baker, a community gardener, the local painter, and now this," the Count explained as a ghastly photograph was passed amongst the investigators. She had been the first to see it. The sight of a petite long-haired woman floating in the air with a train of blood draped on the floor around her sent a shudder down Lena's spine.

There was something different about this grotesque image, though. There had been an indecipherable symbol painted on the wall behind her. It had been drawn in her own blood.

She looked through the crowd to see how the others were reacting to the photograph. The two men sitting just to the right of her seemed to gag at the sight. Alice, the Count's sister, passed the photograph onto the next person as soon as she was handed it. Mr. Ebony nodded solemnly, as if he had seen this before.

The red-haired man sitting across from her, likely of Scottish decent, turned his head away from the gruesome image. The stern-faced, mustached man who viewed the picture next yielded no reaction to the image other than what was maybe a hint of annoyance. The black haired and mismatch-eyed woman viewed the photograph with the same emptiness she had stared Lena down with. This told her all she needed to know about who had their humanity intact.

"Since most of you are of English or American nationalities, I will address you all in English." The Count took a deep breath as he tried to conceal what was either melting sadness or burning anger. "This woman was a friend of mine's beloved housekeeper. I've no idea how I will ever explain this to the town."

The curly haired man two to her right spoke softly, "I'm sure she will leave a hole in many hearts."

The Count bowed his head slightly to show appreciation for the sentiment.

"Brother." Alice's tone was soft. "I think we should undergo brief introductions before we are to start working."

Alice and Lena were on the same wavelength in this matter. Lena barely knew who any of these people were aside from the straggling details the Count entwined in his letters.

"Oh, yes. I had completely forgot about that." The Count cleared his throat. "As soon as I knew I had a problem I reached out to about a dozen of the best investigators and specialists I could find. Some called me mad, others neglected to respond altogether. You all were the ones who agreed to help me."

Lena watched his gaze slowly circle the room as he introduced, "Ms. Lena Weiss; highly praised by my friend, the Berlin magistrate." She nodded her head in appreciation.

"Mr. Byron Chaining; a master of the press. He's been keeping this case out of the European papers all the way from his home in Canada."

She had thought the man to her right to be not quite American or English. Canadian explained it.

"Mr. Victor Simon; a master of forensics." The curly haired man tipped his hat forward.

"My sister, Alice, who knows far more about the secrets of this community than I ever will." Alice let out a slight grin at the recognition.

"My cousin, Mr. George Ebony; one of America's finest coroners." Mr. Ebony bowed his head slightly. "And Dr. Ansel Mckailey; one of the brightest alienists to come out of the University of Edinburgh."

"Ah, thanks for the compliment, Lord Wimmer," the Scottish man thanked him.

"It's always a pleasure, doctor." The Count pivoted to the next introduction. "Mr. Peter Schwarz; a legendary detective for the Austrian Polizei."