Chapter 8

A few more days had brought them much closer to finding the suspect. Michael and Alice had worked around the clock to narrow the population census to just the people who fit the housemaid's description. While the new list was still a great deal larger than they would like it to be, it was considerably smaller than it had been when she'd first arrived here.

Dr. Mckailey had gotten in touch with some of his former collogues from the army and asked them to guard the housemaid. Seeing as the murderer's main targets were people who remembered him, she seemed to be high on his hit list.

Lena woke that morning to find a note that had been slipped under her door. Before she even got dressed, she picked up the note and read it. Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to Oktoberfest next week? I hope we may find some light in this darkness. It had been signed off in Victor's name.

She hadn't planned on going to the Bavarian festival because of all the work they had to do. She supposed, though, that she could spare a day now that they were closer to finding the suspect. After all, this might be the only autumn she would get to spend so close to Munich.

She scribbled down her response and left it under Victor's door as soon as she had finished getting ready for the day. She had planned to go check in on Angeline before she was cornered by Alice in the hallway.

"I think us girls need to have a chat," Michael's sister said.

Before Lena could ask what Alice meant by 'us girls', she turned around to see Ms. Lafontaine a few feet behind her.

"I'm afraid I have a matter to attend to at the moment," the mismatched-eyed woman said as she kept walking.

Alice put out an arm to stop her, though, and said, "if it's going to my cousin's room for the millionth time this week, I think not."

Ms. Lafontaine's widened eyes told her that she was shocked Alice had known that. Lena was shocked too. A woman going to a man's bedroom- unsupervised: she had never heard of such a thing. She supposed the culture must be different among the 'witches'.

"That is none of your business," Ms. Lafontaine snapped back at Alice.

Instead of throwing back a retort at her, Alice carefully scanned their surroundings to make sure no one was hearing. She then instructed, "come with me."

Reluctantly, they followed Alice to a private sitting room, where they could talk in private. While Lena had no desire to be brought into this drama, she couldn't help her curiosity at the strange combination that was Ms. Lafontaine and Mr. Ebony.

"Please, sit," Alice instructed.

They obliged as Michael's sister continued. "It has been brought to my attention that you both have been indulging in some scandalous activity with my brother and cousin."

Lena racked her brain to think of something she had done with the Count that could be considered 'scandalous'. She could think of nothing.

"You, Ms. Lafontaine, have been seen entering Mr. Ebony's private chamber several times now. And you, Ms. Weiss, have been alone in a room with my brother- unchaperoned- every day since you've arrived here. And after I specifically warned you not to?" Alice shook her head. "Disgraceful."

"Are you referring to my meetings with the Count in his office? Those are part of my job. I would hardly consider them scandalous," Lena retorted.

"I don't know how you do things up in Prussia." The kingdom rolled off her tongue with disgust. "Especially since you've been removed from high society for so long. But here in Bavaria, it is quite unnormal for an unmarried woman to be alone in a room with a man for so long, no matter what the purpose."