chapter nine

The open window allowed a few drops of rain in along with a chilling breeze. I refused to close it, though the room was getting too stuffy and humid.

The power had been out for a couple of hours. Gladys called and apologized for forgetting to mention that earlier this week a maintenance guy came in to fix around the house, but ever since the power would randomly go out every other day.

My mother was told and said she'd be right on it. That was promised days ago.

Everyone had gone back to sleep afterward, except me. The thought of Percy telling someone about my problem kept me up. I chewed at the skin around my fingers, glancing at my friends.

What would they think of me?

What if it's too much for them and they abandon me? Wouldn't be the first time I lost friends.

I pulled my now bloody finger away from my mouth. I took a deep breath before standing, carefully moving between the sleeping bodies.

I stood in front of the bay window and stared at the moon.

"Venessa? What are you– It's three in the morning."

"And?"

"Why are you still up?" Percy was standing next to me, a blanket draped over his shoulders

"Why are you up?" I turned back to the window.

"I asked you first." I could feel him staring.

I met his gaze and sighed. "Can't sleep," I said softly.

He nodded and looked ahead. "I had a bad dream."

"What happened?"

"I was being chased by a possessed Tinky-Winky." He stated.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Please tell me you're joking."

He sighed. "I wish I was."

He stared at me while I broke into fits of uncontrollable laughter. "Are you done?" The corners of his lips turned up.

"Yeah," I snorted, wiping away a stray tear. "Why are you suddenly so…"

"So what?" He frowned.

"I don't know. You're so chill all of a sudden."

"What are you talking about?"

I scoffed. "Don't play dumb. You were a complete arse up until today."

"Well, you did knee me in the groin." He chuckled.

"And you shoved me against a wall." I countered.

"Touchè." He smirked. "Sorry about that. I was just– I don't know. I'm just sorry."

"Don't worry about it." I hesitated before speaking again. "Did it have something to do with your father?"

He didn't say anything for a while. "What do you know about my father?"

"Nothing," I shrugged. "Blake mentioned you were with your father that day. So, I just–"

"Don't ever bring up my Father."

The air between us shifted, it was now tense.

"Why did Oliver call you a freak?" I asked softly.

"You're just full of questions today, Grey." He stated.

"What can I say? Curiosity." I said smugly. "And Grey?"

"Your eyes." He stared at me intensely before speaking up again. "I like them."

"Why? They're boring."