Chapter 8

Tw: murder

It had turned dark and Dream was passed out laying on Callahan's shoulder. Callahan didn't mind, so he just stared up at the stars above. While Dream dreamt about that empty void once again. A place he hated to call familiar.

                                                            ---

"Here? Again?" Dream was annoyed.

"Well, hello." the man said, still wearing the white mask.

"I know you saved me last time, but I'm still not putting on that mask."

"Even when your friend is in trouble."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, once you put on the mask you will become stronger and be able to protect the ones you love better. I'm just saying that if Callahan gets hurt-"

"If? I'm not gonna let him get hurt. You know what happened today. I kept him from getting injured from that man. Also, why did that man want to kill me? What's wrong with being the next 'vessel' of the Dreamon?"

"Let's just say, we didn't have a good past all the time. We suffered and were forced to make decisions that we never wanted to make. We just forget how we think, you know?"

"So you're saying if I put on the mask I'll turn bad."

"No, its just...more complicated than that. So many bad decisions are laid behind us in the past. But that doesn't mean we don't make any good ones. We have saved many people in the past and-"

"Stop saying we. There's no we."

The man looked over at Dream and a smile came across his face.

"If you accept the mask now, you'll still be able to know everything about it and us. I will leave you alone and you will be more powerful than you already are."

Dream thought to himself. He didn't want to take the mask, but knew the man wouldn't stop asking. The man threw the mask over to Dream and disappeared. Dream picked up the mask and the empty void fell apart again.

                                                                  ---

Dream woke up with a start and looked down at his hands. There it is, the mask. It's creepy smile staring at Dream. Callahan looked down at the mask and jumped when he saw it.

"Where did that come from?" Callahan signed.

"It's mine, I guess." Dream told him.

"It's yours?"

"Yeah, I'm a vessel for the Dreamon. I don't want to be, but once I put on this mask I fully become it's vessel."

Callahan didn't looked surprised at all. All he did was hug Dream, he felt bad for him. Dream smiled slightly over at Callahan and then looked back down at the thing in his hands. The mask called for him to put it on, but he didn't want to. If your friend gets hurt. If Callahan ever gets hurt and I'm not strong enough, I will put the mask on. Dream told himself. Only when I'm not strong enough.

While the both of them kept looking at the mask, the old pirate had came back. The man knew what Dream was and wanted to get rid of him. He held his sword up ready to strike. Dream noticed it from the corner of his eye and grabbed Callahan. He pulled them both away before they could get hurt.

"Leave us now!" Dream said pulling out his sword.

"I know what you are! You're the Dreamon's vessel. That mask you hold there proves it!" the man took another swing and missed.

Dream jumped out of the way and slashed at the man. He hit his arm. The old man grabbed his arm and became more angry. He looked around and grabbed Callahan. Pulling him off the ground and into the air, a sword keeping Dream from coming closer.

"Callahan!" Dream was scared for his friend.

"Now listen here, if you don't die then Dreamon will keep haunting this world forever. If I can't kill you your little friend will go down instead." the man held a sword to Callahan's throat.

The mask was still in Dream's hands. He didn't want to put it on just yet. Dream was gonna wait.

Dream lunged towards the man, but quickly failed when the man pushed him down to the ground. The man stomped him into the ground and made Dream eat some dirt. Dream coughed up some blood, but that wasn't gonna stop him. He kept trying to hurt the old man, but failed every time. He grew weak and couldn't fight anymore. 

Dream looked up at Callahan, who was scared, and back down at his mask. It was time. Dream put on the mask, clicking the two strings together. The mask covered his face. He could still see everything though. He once again jumped for the man and hit him in the shoulder. The man dropped Callahan. Callahan moved away from the old man. The old man dropped to the ground. Dream put his foot on the man's arm, restraining him from moving at all. He lifted his sword up and brought it down. The old man was killed.

Dream had realized what he had done and moved the mask away from his face. He sat down on the ground, crying. Callahan moved towards him for comfort. Callahan knew about the Dreamon and its powers. He knew that Dream was afraid of what he had become.

"I...I-I killed him." Dream said between sobs, "I killed a man."

Callahan held Dream close to him.

"I'm now apart of the Dreamon." Dream said.

They two hugged each other. Puffy ran over and saw the old man laying there dead. She was shocked. Puffy looked over at her son, who was covered in blood.

"Duckling?" Puffy said.

"Mom, I didn't know that would happen. He threatened to kill Callahan. I just wanted to protect my friend." Dream sobbed.

"Shh, it's ok little one. You did it because you knew it was wrong. I'm not mad at you."

Puffy pulled Dream in for a hug, trying to keep him from crying. Dream didn't want to hurt anyone else. He signed over t Callahan. Callahan signed back. Dream looked up at his mother and was gonna tell her some heartbreaking news.

"Mom, I can't stay here anymore. I'm going to go live with Callahan somewhere else." Dream told her.

"Your only 15. That's too young."

"I can take care of myself. I won't be alone either. I'll have Callahan."

Puffy sighed. "You can go, just promise me you'll be safe."

"I will. I promise."