16 | the end of the beginning

The remainder of the school year felt like a drag, everyone mourning the loss of their Headmaster. For all of his faults, he had been a powerful Wizard with a great impact on the students of Hogwarts.

The last day came around too quickly, however, the parting goodbyes suddenly felt a bit too much like a permanent goodbye rather than a "I'll see you next year!" Even amongst the four of them, the goodbyes they shared felt like the next step in their lives, not another year of Hogwarts but life.

Harry told them that he wouldn't be returning to school next year, and of course, Hermione and Ron were quick to say they'd be joining him on the hunt for Horcruxes. After showing them the necklace from R.A.B, they all knew this was the next jump in the war.

"Abby?" Harry said after a moment, noticing that she hadn't said very much. "What is it?"

"You have made me so incredibly happy these last four years," she explained as she grabbed his hand. "But I can't come with you."

He frowned at the girl. He wanted to try and convince her otherwise but he knew it was no use. When she made a decision, she stuck to it. "Why?"

"Because they're going to come for me."

"Even more of a reason for you to come with us."

"No, Harry," she smiled sadly, "They will get me and I can't be anywhere near you when they do."

"Abigail, I can't leave you knowing you're not safe."

"Yes, you can," she countered. "That logical part of you that's not trying to convince me to go with you is right Harry. It's not safe for you if I'm there." He rested his forehead against hers and she squeezed her eyes shut. "It's not like this is goodbye," she pointed out, "We'll see each other again. Even if it's just in our dreams."

"This feels an awful lot like goodbye," he argued and she laughed slightly.

"I love you," she smiled at him, raising her hand to wipe the stray tear off his face, "I will always love you."

"I love you too," he nodded before leaning down slightly and placing his lips on hers. She pulled him closer to her and deepened the kiss.

After a moment she pulled away, quickly wiping the tears from her own eyes, "I'll see you at the wedding, okay?" Hermione and Ron had been kind enough to step away, giving them their space.

"The wedding," he agreed and she walked away from him. It took everything in her power not to turn around and tell him that she changed her mind and she would come with him. But she didn't. Hermione and Ron started after Harry.

"Ron," Abigail spoke up as she approached them, "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

He turned to look at her and was about to ask why when he noticed the look on her face, "Yeah." They stepped away from Hermione, allowing her to go comfort Harry on her own, "What is it?"

"I need you to do me a favor."

"Am I going to like this?"

She laughed a little, "Probably not." She looked around for a moment to make sure no one was listening. "They're going to get me and when they do, I need you to make sure that Harry sticks to the plan. You guys need to destroy the horcruxes no matter what, okay? He's going to want to come after me but you can't let him. Please, don't let him."

"You're not coming with us?"

"How can I?" she asked as though it were obvious. "They may not know who I am but when they do, you guys won't be safe. If I'm here, at the school, doing what I can from a distance, it'll be better for everyone."

"And you expect us to just let them take you?"

"You don't have a choice," she countered. "They will get me, I can guarantee that. It's just a matter of making sure no one else gets hurt in the process. Promise me you'll make sure he does what he needs to. Make sure he forgets about me, if that's what needs to happen. He has to win."

"Okay, all right," Ron nodded reluctantly, "I promise." He paused for a moment, "Why me?"

"Because I knew you would do what needs to be done," she explained. "Hermione would go into some long winded explanation as to why she wouldn't do it and why it would be better for me to go with you and I would somehow end up agreeing with her. And Harry would...well, you know what Harry would do. I trust you."

"Be careful."

"Only if you are." She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and squeezed, "I'll see you at the wedding, moron."

"You really shouldn't insult the person you're requesting a favor from," he informed her as he hugged her back. She pulled away and glared at him.

It was always meant to end like this, wasn't it? Harry, Hermione and Ron had started the adventures at Hogwarts as a trio, and it only made sense for them to end it that way. Abigail was never meant to be with them. Even if she really wanted to.