Chapter 5: Dumb Cat

Aelius continued to sit at the dining hall even after he had finished his meal for the night.

"Vincent." he called out to the head butler.

"Yes my lord?"

"Is it just me or has the duchess changed a bit?"

"How so my lord?"

Aelius' eyes darted around before landing on an apple in the middle of the fruit basket on the dining table.

"She has never tried to initiate anything but today she walked over to me. With her own will.."

Vincent closed his eyes and nodded, "You're right my lord. Did you hate it?"

He quickly turned to Vincent and shook his head, "Why would I hate it?"

"Then my lord, are you happy?"

"..Happy?" he repeated Vincent's question.

Vincent nodded. "Yes, my lord."

Aelius pondered over the question before he shyly nodded, "Yes..I'm happy."

Vincent smiled, chuckling at Aelius whose ears had turned reddish. "It is a good change."

"But when I tried to invite her to watch a play, she rejected it without hesitation..." Aelius muttered, his eyes downcasted.

"My lord, just because she has changed a bit doesn't mean she will change into another person in one night."

Aelius nodded at Vincent's words. "I hope to be a good husband to her."

"My lord has been doing his best ever since the marriage, don't stress about this too much."

"..Alright.."

"I shall take my leave my lord, there are some things I haven't finished." Vincent bowed before walking away, allowing Aelius to be alone with his thoughts.

He smiled warmly. The Aelius that used to be so young had grown so big in front of his own two eyes.

"Your grace is there anything you would like me to do for you?" Myra asked, tailing behind Valeria as she returned to her room.

Valeria turned to her and shook her head. "No need. I want to sleep."

Myra bowed, "Rest well, your grace."

She closed the doors to her room. Valeria switched into her nightgown and fell down onto the soft bed which called for her.

Her eyelids grew heavier and before she knew it, she had fallen into a deep sleep.

"Valeria!!"

"Oh god why."

Coyedian stood in front of her in the same white space room. Valeria frowned at the black cat.

"Let me out of here." she demanded but Coyedian ignored her words.

"So about the contract-"

"No."

"At least let me finish!"

Valeria sighed, massaging the flesh between her brows. Why couldn't this dumb black cat let her sleep in peace?

"Can't you get Valeria Rubis' soul back? I don't understand why you had to find a new soul when she was the one who summoned you." she pointed out.

Coyedian smirked, glad to be able to catch her attention at least.

"Because when she summoned me she had already died."

"...So you agreed to this contract for a luxurious life even when you knew she was already dead."