Chapter 11: Stay

"What are you thinking about Aelius?" Lucius asked, lightly hitting Aelius' head with a stack of papers.

"..Nothing."

Lucius stared at him before shaking his head, "There's no way that is nothing. You are sighing every now and then like an old man stressing about his daughter's marriage!"

"You don't need to put it that way Lucius."

"So," Lucius walked closer to his table, placing his palm on the desk and grinned, "What are you thinking about that is making you unable to work?"

"I am working." he snapped back, staring down at his document which he hadn't touched since an hour or two ago.

Aelius then sighed and pinched his nose bridge before looking up at his friend. Slowly, he opened his mouth,

"..."

He shut his mouth and looked down. Lucius' grin nearly fell before angrily speaking,

"Don't keep me waiting!"

"...see her.." he softly mumbled.

Lucius blinked as he was only able to hear a few words.

"What was that?"

"...want to see.."

Lucius took in a deep breath, trying his best not to punch some sense into Aelius.

"Aelius, please speak in a full sentence and louder." he calmly spoke.

Aelius nodded, staring at his fingers and said, "Why do I want to see her?"

"See who?" Lucius questioned, tilting his head to the side.

"My wife."

"Your wife?" Lucius repeated and Aelius nodded at his words.

"Don't you usually see her?" Lucius questioned.

Aelius responded back, "But I can't wait."

Lucius hummed, rocking his body back and forth on his heels as he thought about it. He snapped his fingers and spoke,

"Isn't it because you like her?"

"Like?" Aelius raised an eyebrow at his words.

"Yes, like. You must be feeling like this because you like her and want to see her." Lucius explained but Aelius shook his head.

"I don't like her." he firmly stated, twirling the pen around his fingers.

Lucius sighed and shrugged, "I guess so. You two only got married because it was political after all."

He nodded at Lucius' words. Lucius had a deep frown before shaking his head,

"Then perhaps it's because you're sick today. You're always more emotional and clingy when you're sick. Why don't you get some rest like I told you to?"

Aelius weighed Lucius words before nodding, agreeing with his words. He stood and wobbled slightly.

"Sorry.." he muttered towards Lucius who waved it off with a smile.

"No worries, I'll help you do most of what I can do for now and when you get better you can finish them."

Aelius bid him farewell and left his office, heading towards his bedroom to get some rest. He continued walking down the hallways before stopping in front of a door.

He stared at it and hesitated before finally knocking on the door. It was silent and nobody answered the door.

The realisation of what he was doing finally sank it. His already pale face turned even paler. Hurriedly, he turned his heel and was about to leave when the door suddenly opened.