Chapter 18: Happy Marriage With A Nosebleed

They had dinner after Valeria was able to look at Aelius normally and once they finished, the two did their own things before it was time to sleep again.

"Wife I can-"

"No, sleep here."

"But.."

"Do you want the maids and servants here to think we have a bad relationship?"

"...No.."

"Then it's best for us to sleep in the same room."

Aelius listened to Valeria's reasoning and caved in but he still stood at the side of the bed awkwardly.

Valeria stared at the wooden man and sighed. She took one of the extra pillows on the king sized bed and placed it in the middle, creating a gap between them.

With a nonchalant face, she showed two thumbs up and said, "I won't touch you, rest assured. I would never do that."

Aelius stared at her and down at the pillow, "...That's not.."

"Did you say something?" she questioned, getting comfortable on the bed.

He shook his head and carefully got into bed. Valeria let out a small yawn before lying on her side, showing her back towards him.

"Good night, duke."

"..Night.."

Time slowly ticked away and Valeria was fast asleep while Aelius laid in bed, eyes opened. He gradually shifted his gaze over to the sleeping figure. Her back was still facing him as he gazed at her.

"I won't touch you."

"I would never do that."

He suddenly remembered those words she had said to him. Those words that were supposed to comfort and reassure him so he could lie on the bed with ease, did the opposite. He felt uncomfortable.

Were husband and wife supposed to act like how they do? Was one of them supposed to be telling their marriage partner they would never touch them?

Aelius didn't know. How could he? All of this was still new to him and he could barely recall his parents acting like a couple. His father never showed love or care to him or his mother.

A frown was shown on his face as he wondered on about this. Were they a normal married couple?

He sat upright and motionlessly got up from the bed, leaving the bedroom. With a determined look on his face, he decided he needed to learn more about marriage and how to have a good marriage life, for the sake of his wife.

-

Valeria woke up with a jolt, gasping for air before frantic coughs spilt out her mouth. Blood stained the blankets and her pyjamas.

Once her coughs calmed down, she calmly gazed down at the blankets before getting up, changing into a new set of clothes and calling a servant to find Myra.

"Your Grace!" Myra came to the room within seconds.

Valeria saw how she was still in her nightgown and her hair was down.

"Sorry for calling you at this hour but could you get these blankets washed and bring the medicines?" Valeria asked, pointing at the blankets which had a large spot of blood.

Myra's eyes widened in shock before nodding, "Right away, Your Grace!"

She swiftly took the blanket away and brought in a new one. After that she came back with her medications she needed.