Chapter 13: An Affair?!

Valeria got up from her chair and began to walk off which caught Lucius off guard.

Baffled, he called out to her, "Duchess?"

She didn't respond to him, continuing to walk to her destination she had in mind. Lucius, who did not know what to do, decided to follow behind her like a lost puppy. Valeria paid no attention to Lucius and stormed inside.

She paused and turned to Lucius who yelped in surprise.

"Where's his office?"

"...Upstairs near the library.."

"Thank you." she thanked and headed there immediately.

"Duchess?!"

Valeria didn't knock on the door and burst in. Aelius who kept drowning himself in paperwork almost flinched at the sudden noise. He carefully looked up from his work before his eyes widened in surprise.

"...Duchess? Why are you here?" he asked, not expecting out of all people who could possibly barge into his office, it would be her.

Valeria didn't answer his question, only staring at him and his paperwork back and forth. He noticed her gaze but didn't know what to say.

"...Pathetic." Valeria said.

'Look how sick you still are'

Aelius was always never affected by words. He had grown used to those types of words thrown at him but hearing it from his own wife, he felt an arrow shooting through his heart. He stared at his work quietly, trying his best not to seem like he was hurt but he suddenly felt a presence overlooming him.

Next thing he knew, Valeria had grabbed his arm, trying to pull him out of his chair. After struggling for a moment, he got out of his chair on his own as he noticed how weak her strength was. He was then dragged away by Valeria who didn't reveal how she felt on her face.

Lucius quietly watched in shock but quickly snapped out of it and followed behind them. Valeria continued until they stopped back at his room which was further down.

She turned back at Aelius, pointing at his room door. "Don't come out from there until tomorrow."

Lucius and Aelius stood there, frozen. Lucius wanted to rush over to help Aelius out but he was too afraid once he saw Valeria's cold glare fall on them for a second.

Aelius fidget in place, wondering what to do. Valeria raised an eyebrow, unamused. "What are you standing around for? Quickly go."

"You need more rest or else it will get worse." she muttered to herself.

"...Now?" Aelius quietly asked.

Valeria nodded. Aelius didn't want to provoke her any longer so he obeyed and headed into his room without another word said. Once the doors to his room were shut, Valeria began to take her leave but was stopped by a flustered Lucius.

"U-uh duchess! Is there a reason why you are doing this to Aelius?" Lucius asked with his voice nearly cracking.

Valeria furrowed her brows. "What do you mean?"

Lucius could feel his stomach churning in fear but continued speaking, wanting to seek justice for his friend. "What did Aelius do that he needed to be punished, duchess?"

Valeria tilted her head to the side, confused by his words. "Punished? He's not being punished."

"...Pardon?"

"He's been sick since yesterday. He should be resting instead." Valeria answered, her brows furrowed.

Lucius stared at Valeria before everything clicked. He couldn't help but laugh, shaking his head. Valeria watched without a clue on why he was laughing.