You Deserve Better

Warning: Language, Angst, Fluff

Synopsis: You overhear the conversation Kai has with his twin sister, Jo about how he is the defective twin, how everyone thought he wasn't worth it. He seeks you out after overhearing you sharing a few cross words with his sister, you show him he is loved and he deserves so much better than what he received in life so far.

Word Count: 1,590

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am waiting out in the hallway as Kai talks to his sister, they were both sick and trying to figure out a solution because if Kai dies, their whole entire coven will die with him, I keep my ears tuned in to listen in on what they were saying. "Finally. I was about to use that bedpan for more practical reasons.", I hear him say, "Motus! Talked to Dad. Guess who's not sick? Him, Liv, and I'm feeling pretty good right now too, which leads me to believe that I am not gonna die anytime soon, so what's you're game? Tell me?", I hear her shout at him, my heart lurches into my throat and I flinch slightly. "I don't have a game! GOD! As much as my suffering might bring you pleasure or whatever, this is not the way to handle this situation.", I jump at his voice rising, I had seen him get angry, but the emotion I hear behind his words makes my heart ache a bit. "Is this all just a ploy for you to get more magic?", Jo asks, I feel myself getting angered at her words, I knew the whole reason why Kai was placed into a prison world and why he did what he did, I sympathized with him, because before I became a vampire more than two centuries ago, I had been banished from my coven for being too weak.

"It's a ploy for us all to stay alive, actually. However, I'm sorry if that seems selfish....", he says, but is cut off by his sister, "I don't believe you! Because you are a liar. And you are the worst kind of liar, because your lies sound so much like the truth, it is impossible for me to tell the difference.". "You're right. I am a liar, alright? I'm the black sheep. You know, the defective twin that nobody wanted. Must feel real nice of you to stand here - judging me.", tears fill my eyes as I listen to him speak, my bottom lip trembles slightly, "Surrounded by all the things that you got out of life while I spent 18 years in isolation as the family reject. And let me tell you, every inch of me wants to kill you for that. EVERY PART! But I can't, because the only way that I can survive is if you help me.", I have to place my hand over my mouth to keep my sobs silent, my shoulders shake as he continues, "And I'd like to live- frankly, because I didn't get to a whole lot of that before everyone decided that I wasn't worth it.", I hear Kai stop to take a breath.

"I'll give it to you, but under one condition, you take it and get out of my life. I never want you anywhere near me, ever again.", I wipe my tears as I slide down the wall, pulling my knees up to my chest. "Fine!", Kai's loud voice makes me jump again as I try to calm myself, but I can't as his previous words still play through my mind. "I am not finished!", Jo's voice starts to grate on my nerves to the point that I am ready to step in, but I don't, "Shocker.", I hear Kai add. "If you break your promise, I'll kill you. I'll take myself and our entire coven down with you. Because I don't wanna live another minute afraid of my own brother. Got it?", she says, "Got it.", I hear him say in response. I finally tune them out, my eyes stay focused on the floor before me as I wait for Kai. I am brought out of my thoughts when Jo's door opens and Kai steps out, he sees me and quickly leaves, I see Jo step out to watch him go before I stand up.

Her wide eyes meet my glaring look, "You are just as bad as my family once was, always kicking someone away when they aren't what you want them to be. You stand there like you're hot shit because you could make magic of your own, when in fact you are nothing but a fucking bitch. He was your family, your brother and you did nothing to stop the abuse your father inflicted on him.", I spit at her, black veins crackle under my eyes for a moment in my anger, "You don't get it Jo, he became the way he did because of you and your coven, I don't blame him, I just wish he had finished the job so I wouldn't have to stand here and look at your sorry ass.", I add while poking a finger to her chest, I turn to leave, leaving her speechless as I go look for Kai, he had become my best friend since his arrival, we connected over the fact we were outcasts in our own families. I feel hot tears fill my eyes as I vamp speed out of the building, not noticing Kai has overheard what I have told his sister.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I slide down to the floor once I close my front door, the sobs making me shake, Kai's words never leaving my mind as they keep replaying on a loop. I jump when I hear the knock at the door, I quickly wipe my eyes as I stand, I open the door to see Kai on my doorstep, "Can I come in?", he asks, I give a nod and step to the side for him. I follow him into my living room once I close the door behind him. "I heard what you said to my sister.", he finally says after taking a seat on the couch, I look up from stoking the fire in the fireplace, "I'm sorry, it wasn't my place to say that to her, but what she had said just made me so angry Kai.", I turn my attention back to the fire. "You said your family was just as bad as mine, how?", he asks me, I finally stand and walk to the couch, I take a seat next to him. "I never told you because it hurts everytime I tell anyone.", I say softly, I turn to look at him, "More than two centuries ago I was a witch, my family, coven was well-known for banishing those who were weak. I was tossed out at the age of twenty-five when they realized I wasn't going to get any stronger with my magic.", my bottom lip trembles, my voice cracks.

"My mother was the worst of them all, I suffered the most abuse at her hands, so naturally after I was turned she was the one who got torn limb from limb, then the rest of the coven followed suit, they all died at my hands.", I look down at my hands in my lap, my gaze comes up to Kai when he reaches over and takes one into his. I can see the sympathy in his eyes when I look up to meet his gaze, "You think you don't deserve anything good, that you don't deserve love because it wasn't shown to you.", his brow furrows at my words, "But that's not true Kai, you deserve so much better than what life has given you. You deserve to have a life, you deserve to live, why should Damon and Stefan be forgiven for all the killing they have done, but you can't be?", I add. I turn to face him more, "You deserve to be loved, and you are loved Kai.", I wipe away a tear that has fallen down my cheek, "And you want to know how I know?", I ask. He gives me a nod, I can see the tears in his eyes as he listens to me speak, "Because I love you Kai, despite what my so-called friends say or think, I care for you. I don't care what anyone says or thinks, because I see you for you.", I tell him.

I sit there silently, watching his face for a reaction to what I have said, I am surprised when he suddenly sits forward and presses his lips to mine, his hand rests on my cheek gently. I sigh softly into the soft kiss, he pulls away and rests his forehead against mine, "You have been here for me, you have made me feel things I never thought I could feel. Thank you.", he whispers, his breath fans over my face and he gives me soft smile, "You're welcome, I know emotions are new and foreign to you, but I will be here to help you with them.", I tell him. He pulls his face away from mine to pull me into his arms as we sit back, I intertwine my fingers with his, "And I love you too [Y/N].", a smile forms on my face when he says those words, he places a soft kiss on the top of my head as I turn the TV on, we sit there the rest of the night watching movies and cuddling.