Prologue 2/2

(A/N: This chapter has some descriptions of whump, although not necessarily gory. Next chapter will be much better, trust me. Thanks for reading!)

It's been four years since the day Tony picked you up from MJ's house. Four. Years. Tony had had all the paperwork done overnight, and you were moved in the next morning. He still hadn't announced your existence, especially since you were joining MJ at Midtown High. Well, you really were only there for the social aspect of it, going in every other week or so. You had already passed college, especially with the help from your dad. MJ had introduced you to two new 'losers' of her's, Ned and Peter. Ned was like a brother to you, but Peter... Maybe you liked Peter a little extra.

And maybe MJ kept insisting he liked you back.

But alas, you were tied to a soulmate. No one besides MJ knew, and your dad. You don't actually know how he found out, except that one day he wanted to see it. He just straight up asked you, no sugarcoat at all. You obliged, showing him the shimmery, illegible black tattoo.

All he had said was: 'huh'.

When you asked Jarvis about it, the first few times he denied knowing. He inevitably admitted telling your dad, but in return he told you about your dad's search. Apparently he couldn't find anything on the matter either.

You met Pepper Potts too. She was nice, although it seemed Tony had a bit of a thing going on with her. At least he wasn't sleeping around, like your mom. You loved her, it was just... some things she should have double thought about. Especially when raising a daughter.

Your old name -Y/N- was rarely used anymore. At school, home, even office stuff- you were Sky. Sometimes Skylar, to make it seem more official. More like a name. Your dad- Tony- he agreed that you were allowed to keep the nickname if you wanted to, especially since it was a reminder of the first day he met you. You changed to fit the name, and you fit it well. You soared through life atop your hand-built cloud. No soulmate needed.

A lot can happen in four years. Not only did you start going to school, but you also created your own AI. You named her M.I.B.A., at MJ's request. It stood for 'My Intelligent Badass Assistant'. Which, she really was a badass. And sarcastic. Incredibly sarcastic.

Speaking of new tech, your dad has finally been announced Iron Man! You don't exactly know the whole story- well, you didn't. After hacking enough files -and with some help from Jarvis- you finally pieced together the story. You were 15 at the time.

Now, just because your father is flying around in a titanium alloy suit, doesn't mean you do too.

Except that you do. You just don't use it. Or shown it to anybody. Or anything else like that. You made it a few months after he came back, stealing his initial designs. You added plenty of little tricks of your own, and you even started working on some nanotech ideas. But it seemed the tech just wasn't there yet.

*

It was right after the red-head showed up. Your dad had been going head to head with Hammer over the past few weeks in court, although he did make sure to spend extra time with you. You could see it, but no matter what you did Tony denied it. It didn't matter if he was dying. You could see it in his eyes, or how he was always drinking that green gobbledy-gook. You don't actually know what happened, since you were still in New York. Your dad had moved to Florida, although he came to visit often.

You were trying to access the security cameras of the Malibu mansion, when it finally happened.

Fear. A tingly feeling in your wrist. You glanced down, seeing the faintest hint of blue. It was the first time anything like this had ever happened. Your soulmate's feelings bleeding through the bond. Here you were doubting they even existed, when they were in pain.