Chapter Fourteen

(Your Pov)

"Surprise! Happy Birthday!" They all shouted, nearly sending you into cardiac arrest. Now that would've been hilarious, given your parentage and all.

"How- What's going on?" You ask someone, hoping that maybe one of the girls from your entourage could help out and answer you. "Did you do this all for me?"

"Of course! Sky, you're the smartest, kindest, most accepting person in this world. You deserve the biggest party for your birthday, and ten times that for your eighteenth birthday. So yes, this is all for you! You and only you." MJ declared, bringing you close to tears from all the sudden emotions anyway. She was so thoughtful to do this all for you. Now it made sense why she was asking all of those things about your party preferences and such. Peter actually had to ask you what your favorite frosting was, because that was something you changed pretty much daily.

But this... this was almost too much. The entire room was full of people, and you could instantly recognise the Avengers and most of your friends from school. Well, that and every even remotely-almost acquaintance you've ever met. The room was filled to the brim with people, balloons, food tables, and even a dance floor. Flower filled vases littered the walls and surface centers, and you noticed MJ had remembered to pick both your favorite flower as well as a few Black Dahlias, since you both were stoked to find out there was a murder and a flower with the same name. It was a little inside joke between the two of you, since it was near impossible to find one nowadays. As rare as murder.

"Thank you. Thank you all so much!" You shout, colliding with the three behind you to form a group hug. It didn't matter with who or when or where you were right now, you needed to show exactly how much this meant to you. You found your next victims: the team- and collided with each of them as well. They obviously had done or known something, given that the party was hosted in their tower. Well, technically the new Stark tower- but none of that mattered right now.

'Happy Birthday Y/N.' You hear the familiar voice you've been waiting for. You had absolutely no clue if he was in the crowd or not, although you doubted he was allowed at an event such as this.

'Thank you! I assume you had something to do with all of this mischief?'

'Of course. I am the god of it after all." You laugh at his comment, barely containing your excitement. You could barely tell who was more excited, or if the feelings were yours or his. 'Will you save me a dance?'

'Absolutely. Just don't get here too late.' With that the connection ended, but not without a burst of joy erupting in your chest. Seemed he was excited to get to dance with you.

"Happy Birthday Y/N." Your dad whispered in your ear, making you hug him tighter. "Your mom would be so proud of you." She would, wouldn't she? For all that she's done wrong, she really loved you. You were her one thing keeping her up. Her anchor. She always cared about you and everything you did, for all that she wasn't around. For all that she wasn't around anymore. Even morally imbalanced mothers had hearts, especially yours.

"Thank you so much for everything Dad." You whisper back, as you tried to make your tears disappear. Luckily your girl-squad of the afternoon knew to ask the salon for waterproof make-up, which quickly had you saved. "I love you."

"I love you too kiddo." He finally started pulling away, and you could've sworn you saw a little extra tearing at the corner of his eyes. "Now let's get this party started!" The crowd roared, getting into the evening. And perhaps a few of them planned on going too far, but you couldn't exactly control that. Your dad leaned in to whisper in your ear. "I'll keep Steve busy if you want to sneak a few glasses. But you're on your own if you get caught, so don't try to give him too many clues." He winked, and you giggled along with him.