Chapter Twenty-Three

(Your Pov)

Loki's first mission came much sooner than expected. You had all been spread throughout the tower around lunchtime, when Fury's voice blasted over the speakers.

"There's a fight in Upstate." He had said, "We need everyone up there now." You knew from experience that Upstate New York was hours away from the tower -which was in central New York City- and that it would take the rest of the day at least for them to finish the mission and return.

And if Fury was sending all seven Avengers? Then it must be one hell of a fight.

So you were worried. Despite the team telling you not to. You simply had this gut feeling that something bad was going to happen, like someone coming home hurt or- Or worse.

God, you couldn't lose anyone else. Not anytime soon.

"Don't die, ok?" You tell your dad as you meet the team on the loading deck. It's been awhile since all of them had to go out, and you couldn't bring yourself to remember what you used to do. Talk to MJ? Work on some of your secret projects? It all seemed so futile to the constant company of your family.

"Don't worry kid. We'll be fine." Steve said, giving you a small smile. Your Dad pulled away, giving you a smirk and joining the others soon enough. Clint gave you a small wave from the pilot's seat, you taking a few steps back.

'Good luck. I'll be waiting for you.' You whisper in your mind to Loki, as the jet starts taking off. You couldn't bring yourself to completely ignore him, but being in front of the team put you in a difficult situation.
'As will I.' He responded, the ship growing distant now. 'I will be back before you know it.'

With that, the connection was severed from distance. You could still feel his emotions of course, but actually talking to him was much more difficult. But at least you had the small reassurance that if anything happened, he could tell you. Loki would.

As the connection faded, you remembered how you felt all those years ago. Truly and utterly alone. No soulmate to comfort you, no teammates to talk with. It was like your childhood all over again.

Knowing it would be hours until they came back, you decided to work some on your Owl project. If you ever hoped to join the team, it needed to be finished. And soon.

So you tinkered. You patched up, debugged, and kept rewiring until it was perfect. Well, near perfect. You really wanted to get that nanotech set up, although that might still take a while to straighten out.

In desperate need of a break, it seemed your prayer was finally answered. Your phone rang.

Which meant two things. Either MJ was calling you, or the team was in trouble. Or some other catastrophic event that would lead to you being the only person to call.

You quickly set your tools down, and swivel your stool over to the desk where your phone was laid. Hopefully it was the former. You really, really hoped nothing had happened to the team.

It was MJ.

Sweet relief. Putting a few tools away, you swipe up to answer the call. MJ's face shown on the screen, her voice soon filling the speakers.

"Hey Sky. What's up?"

"That's why you called?"

"Yeah. And I was bored." She could be so indifferent sometimes, honestly.

"Well, the full team went on a mission today, including Loki. So I'm working on the owl project, which is practically finished."

"Really? Already?"