•Chapter 1•

There he was again, the brown-haired boy I saw on the bus to university every morning. He smiled his boxy smile at me as he got on and made his way towards the empty seat next to me. Taehyung and I had developed a sort of friendship-if you could even call it that-over the past two weeks.

We sat beside each other for half an hour every morning but knew close to nothing about one another. Some days I'd bring us both something to eat on the way; other days, he'd show me his favourite songs as we shared earphones and simply enjoyed the music. Today was a typical day. We sat in silence, our earphones plugged in and our shoulders bumping every time the bus took a sharp turn.

I stared out the window as the scenery changed from rows of houses and red and gold trees into busier streets lined with shops; the sun emerged from the grey clouds and the day grew brighter. I noticed my university campus getting closer, and the bus came to a halt.

"See you tomorrow, Yerin," Taehyung stood up to let me out, he was a few inches taller than me, so I had to tilt my head slightly to look into his eyes.

"Yup, see ya," I smiled at him, getting off the bus, and walking to the campus gates.

*

"Rin! Did you know there was a test today?!" Haewon, my best friend, exclaims as she catches sight of me stepping into the classroom.
Haewon and I had been friends since the first day of college three years ago. The two of us were roommates but she always left the apartment before me for her class at 8 am or her usual morning run.

"What? No, but it's not like we would've studied for it." I shrugged my shoulders, taking my seat beside her at the back of the classroom.

She let out a chuckle, and the two of us hurriedly skimmed through our textbooks, "I hope Namjoon doesn't kill us."

"Speak of the devil," I waved at Namjoon, who was weaving through the tables and chairs to reach us.

Namjoon noticed our extra-toothy grins and the books strewn across the table, he rolled his eyes and let out a sigh, "Man, it's been three years. Do you guys always have to study ten minutes before the test?"

"Sorry," Haewon and I replied in unison, stressing on the last syllable and laughing, as Namjoon shook his head and occupied the desk behind us.

*

The rest of the day went by smoothly, and the three of us were now walking across campus. The sky was painted a deep orange with a few bold strokes of pink clouds; the sun was a glowing orb, disappearing slowly, making the evening grow darker. The chilly breeze sent light shivers down my body every time it brushed past my skin.

"Jungkook's having a party tonight, should we go?" Namjoon started.

"Wonnie's Jungkook?" I questioned, putting my phone in the back pocket of my jeans.

Namjoon nodded, as Haewon clicked her tongue.

"He isn't my Jungkook, Rin," she whined, ignoring me as I wiggled my eyebrows at her.

"Just give him a chance. You guys have obviously liked each other for a while now." I tried convincing her for the millionth time.

After we persuaded her for a few minutes and bribed her with food, Haewon reluctantly agreed to go.

"Joon, when's the party?"