•Chapter 7•

Third POV

The study was spacious and lit in a dim yet elegant manner. A large mahogany table occupied the centre, and a smaller desk was placed at the end of the room. The shelves lining the walls from floor to ceiling contained books of all sorts, carrying secrets of years past. The olive carpet had swirling patterns, adding a touch of grace to the room. The lamps cast shadows in the dark corners of the room.

Countless documents were scattered across the table: contracts, reports, statements. To prevent a few of the pages from flying off, two guns acted as paperweights. Two men sat on either side of the table. One was in his mid-twenties, and the other a lot older.

After weeks of building up his courage, the younger had finally suggested his idea to the man sitting opposite him.

"Are you serious?" The older man questioned, narrowing his eyebrows. His mouth formed a scowl as creases formed on his forehead.

"Boss, all I'm saying is maybe we should consider bringing her back home," he brushed his wavy, pale blond hair behind, chewing on his full lips. "We can't keep her safe if she's never with us, and college isn't helping, it's unnecessary."

"I don't see Jihye complaining," Park Daesung spoke out, his voice overflowing with irritation and laced with anger. "And college is the only reason we could protect her so far."

She wouldn't have needed protecting if it wasn't for you. The other man thought, but he didn't voice out his thoughts.

"Jimin, let her stay," Daesung continued, "the university is on the outskirts, and the Min family's turf is on the other side of the city. She'll be safe from all the action."

"It's been a few years; maybe they've given up." He was hopeful. Jimin ran his fingers through his icy locks again, a nervous habit.

But even Jimin knew it was wishful thinking. Gangs don't forgive that easily; grudges were sometimes passed down generations. Revenge stood on a high pedestal, and the Parks had committed more than a petty crime. He remembers it like it was yesterday.

*FLASHBACK*

Violent raindrops splattered against the ground as the icy wind struck Jimin's face. He was growing out of breath now, the alleyways closing in on him, getting narrower by the minute.

The other boy hadn't slowed down, and his dark hair glinted in the moonlight. Water splashed up at his feet as he sprinted through the puddles, running for his life. He just had one kilometre get to the base.

One kilometre, and he'd be safe.

One kilometre, and he would have help.

One kilometre and Jimin would be overpowered.

He chanted this in his head, ignoring the burning pain in his muscles.

Suddenly, he was hurtling towards the ground, his cheek scraping against the tarmac. Jimin had caught up to him, and he held a gun.

"Don't make me do this." Jimin was panting, but his hand was steady, the gun aimed at the other boy's chest. "Just tell me where you've hidden it, and I'll let you live."

"No."

A frustrated groan escaped Jimin's lips. He ran his fingers through his hair, pushing the wet strands back.

"I don't want to do this. Why are you making it so hard for yourself?"

"I'm not giving you anything, so just get it over with. Shoot me," the boy's voice showed no fear. His feline eyes were gleaming with a silent challenge. He loved his life, playing with danger, walking on the tightrope of life, never knowing when he'd plummet to his death.

"Please, hyung," Jimin's begged, "Just tell me where the file is, and this will be over."

A smile played on the other boy's lips, and it was devoid of any happiness. He stared at the blond with a look of contempt.

"Shut the fuck up and do it, Jimin. You never cared for our friendship anyway," his bitter laugh echoed in the tiny alleyway, "you're never getting your hands on that file. So just kill me, go impress that father of yours. It's not like you'll ever stand up to that disgusting excuse for a human. You-"

He was cut off by the gunshot. The sound ricocheted off the walls, which now felt like they were closing in on the two. Jimin's vision was blurred with tears. They poured out of his eyes, mixing with the rainwater and stinging his cheeks.

He rushed to crouch beside his bleeding friend, placing the other boy's head on his lap as waves of crimson flowed from his chest into the murky puddles on the ground. Even as the life slowly drained out of him, the boy's catlike eyes held no regret, no fear—only a blissful shine.

Sobs rocked Jimin's body, and he threw the gun aside, unable to believe how far he'd gone. "H-Hyung, I'm s-sorry, I-" another harsh sob escaped him. A hand came up to cup his cheek.

"It's okay, Jimin-ah, you didn't have a choice." His voice was a whisper, "Maybe we'll meet in another life," finding his own words ridiculous, he let out a raspy laugh, his teeth and gums on show, lighting up his face, although it was now deathly pale. "I forgive you." His arm went limp and dropped to his side.

Jimin remained in that position, wailing until his throat was raw and his eyes were bloodshot.

He sat there until his father's men had found him and dragged him home; Jimin was barely aware of what was going on around him. He felt empty inside, completely hollow. He'd killed before, but this changed him. He had murdered the one person keeping him tethered to the ground, and something inside him snapped.

Since that day, Jimin turned into a machine; he killed on order and thought nothing of it. He didn't even feel a sliver of regret. He refused to let anyone in except Jihye; his sister was the only one he held an emotional connection with, and that was all he needed.

*End of Flashback*

"Killing that Min kid brought more trouble than it was worth." Park Daesung's voice cut through the air, bringing Jimin back to his senses.

"I told you we shouldn't have," Jimin mumbled, receiving a withering glare. Jimin looked down, unable to face the older man.

"Park Jimin, just because you're my son doesn't mean I'm going to tolerate disrespect from you. You're still one of my men, and your sister will remain where she is. Now leave and bring back reports on the search."

"Yes, sir." He bowed his head and left the room. His friend had been right.

Jimin could never stand up to his father.