5

Possible TW: abuse/violence

You wake with a start, noticing sweat beading your face. Sitting up, you brush your H/L, H/C, hair out of your face, still panting. The dream wasn't necessarily scary, but it shook you up a bit. That boy that you saw... something about him is... familiar? Important?

You shake your head. It's best not to think about it.
Standing up, you walk to the kitchen— which can't really be qualified as a kitchen, cause it's just a hut of sorts with pots, pans and knives. You shudder when you see the knives.

You walk up to the boys who sit at a picnic table, munching on toast and scrambled eggs.
Newt smiles when he sees you.
"Y/N!", he chimes, making you smile, "today's an important day". He says teasingly.
"What do you mean?", you ask, feeling nervous for some reason.

"Today you get a job in the Glade. It's time you started helping around here, considering your not going home anytime soon", Minho snorts, and your face falls. Your not upset about working, it would help take your mind off things, but your sad because he's right; you won't be going home anytime soon.

Newt notices your sad expression and he places his hand on your arm.
"Hey, we're trying okay? We wanna get you home. But for now, your stuck here with us".
"Thanks", you mutter shyly.
Minho nudges your arm, "but if you could be stuck anywhere, being stuck here with me isn't that bad".
You roll your eyes, scoffing, "Don't flatter yourself".

You walk with Alby as he explains the different jobs.
"There's Sloppers, Slicers, Track-hoes, Medjacks, Builders, Baggers—," he lists them off on his fingers.
"What about the Maze? The Runners?", you inquire.
"What do you mean?", he looks nervous.
"Well I was a Runner for two years in the Springs. Why can't I do that?".
"Your Maze was different... probably. Your basically a Greenie, and we don't let Greenies run into the Maze. They have to be chosen by the keepers". Ably runs his hand over his bald head, looking anxious.

You ignore the use of the unfamiliar word.
"Clearly our Mazes were—are, connected. I'm used to running".
"You still need to be chosen by the Keeper, Minho". Why is Alby making this so difficult? You're already a Runner. And you can't just sit here while the others try to find your way home.
"Minho? Oh please, he'll let me be a Runner", Minho's cool, he'll let you. Right?

Before Alby could say anything else, you run to the homestead.
Minho and the other Runners haven't left yet, but you can tell they're about to.
"Minho!", you shout and he turns to look at you.
"Minho, let me be a Runner".
He seems taken aback, "Uhm, yeah... I guess...", he trails off when Alby appears behind you. You see him staring daggers at Minho and Minho swallows hard.
"Actually.... I don't know if it's the best idea...".
"What the hell?!? You were just about to let me. What is going on with you".

"We can't tell you. But it's in your best judgement that you stay in the Glade. Plus, you just recovered. Take it easy for a bit". Alby suggests.
"You know what Y/N, I think you'd be a pretty good Medjack". Minho smiles, but only halfheartedly.
You shrug indifferently, "fine, I guess. I'll be a Medjack or whatever for now"

"Good that", Alby says and Minho waves goodbye, running off into the Maze. You desperately wanted to follow him.

—————

For the rest of the day you do Medjack training with Clint and Jeff, although you don't pay much attention.
It's not too bad you suppose, but you'd much rather be in the Maze.
"Hey, are you listening?", Clint says, snapping his fingers in front of your face.
"Huh? Oh yeah".
Clint goes back to demonstrating how to wrap someone's ankle.

Then Gally walks in, his hand bleeding violently.
"Gally, are you okay?", Jeff asks, his face pale.
"Yeah, it's nothing. Just cut myself when I was working". He shrugs.
Jeff goes over to Gally, grabbing the hydrogen peroxide and a bandage wrap, but Gally places his good hand on Jeff's.
"Do you mind if Y/N does it? Good practice".

Jeff nods, passing you the supplies. You squint suspiciously at Gally. Something isn't right.
Hesitantly, you grab a cotton ball, dipping it in the hydrogen peroxide and dabbing it on Gallys hand. He winces, and you relish his pain. When the cut is clean, you wrap it in the bandage.
"There, all done". You say, immediately pushing yourself away from Gally.
He smiles innocently, "thanks Y/N. Would you mind coming for a walk with me?".
This seems really suspicious to you, but for some stupid reason, you nod and go with him.

You don't know why you'd go; it's almost like your ego took control of your brain, pushing logic aside.
Gally leads you into the forest, making small talk until your out of earshot of everyone.
"Here we are", he says, turning around, his fake smile wiped away and replaced by a stone cold grimace.
He rolls his sleeves up, and steps threateningly towards you.
"Now down to business".

You step back, not sure if he was about to kiss you or punch you.
It was the latter.
Before you have time to react, he pushes you to the ground and kicks you in the side.
"You made me look like a fool", he spits sourly.
You want to tell him that he does that on his own, but his fist is in your face too soon to reply.

You try to fight back, but he has the upper hand in many senses. He's bigger, stronger and already has you weakened.
A couple times you kick your leg into his gut, or connect your fist to his face, but that makes him even more angry, and his fist and foot just come down harder.

He yells nonsense at you while he stomps on your ankle and you cry out in pain. He picks you up by the arm, and presses you against a tree, then places his hand around your throat, tightening his grip.
You feel your face get cold as the blood is cut off.
"Don't test me again. And if you tell anyone about this I will feed you to the Grievers". Gally hisses, throwing you down and running off, back toward the Glade.

You crumble to the ground, wrapping your arms around your waist and hugging your knees close to your chest. You begin to sob, rocking back and forth.

Emotion is weakness, so you try desperately never to show any, but you already feel weak and helpless.

Eventually, you cry yourself to sleep, still seeing images of Gally in your head.

A/N: sorry I haven't updated in a couple days, but I was busy being lazy.

And how do I already have almost 100 reads?!?! That's shucking crazy to me, I posted this a week ago! Thank you!

Thank you for reading :)
-A3