12

You stare in astonishment at the girl who lays unconscious in the Box.

"I think she's dead", Newt says.

Just as Gally jumped down to lift the girl out of the Box, she gasped and sat bolt upright, causing Gally to cuss and stumble backwards.

"Thomas". The girl says, looking around, then locking eyes with him. She then passed out again, thudding against the cold metal in the Box with a sharp exhale.

"What the shuck?", Minho exclaims.

Newt and Gally lift her body out of the Box and lay her down on the ground.
You notice something.

"Hey, what's in her hand?".

Newt reaches down and pulls out a crumpled piece of paper and reads it aloud: "she's the last one ever".

Whispers spread amongst the crowd, growing in to shouts of confusion which Alby silences.

"Keepers, Gathering in the Homestead. Now."

Newt looks at you with sadness as he walks off the the Homestead with the other Keepers, leaving you alone.

——————

The other Medjacks and you take the girl into the Homestead when the Gathering was done and laid her on the bed, not able to do much.

You sit in a rickety wooden chair beside her bed, staring at her. She was beautiful. Long flowing black hair, perfect pale skin and electric blue eyes. You feel a foreign emotion in the pit of your stomach, and emotion you didn't like. Jealousy. Pure envy. A part of you feared that when she woke up that she would charm Newt and that he wouldn't be as fascinated by you anymore. But Newt wasn't like that; he wouldn't just toss you away when a prettier girl arrived.

Would he?

"You look like your about to murder her", a British voice says from behind you.
Newt.

"Well, I mean....", you say. He must've taken it for a joke because you heard him laugh lightly from beside you, but you weren't exactly joking. No; you were. You'd never murder her. You'd never murder anyone.

Yes you would. Your heartless and terrible.
The voice takes you by surprise and you almost jump out of your seat. Two things were different about it this time: 1 it was in the middle of the day and 2 it wasn't Newt's voice.
It was Thomas.

Newt noticed your alarm and rushes to your side, "you okay Love?".

You smile and nod, "yeah. Fine".

Your not fine. Your insane. Your a jealous psycho with no empathy. You—

"Shut up!" You shout, clasping your hands over your ears.
It wasn't until you saw Newts concern until you realized that you had said it out loud.

You face flushes red. "Oh. Um. Sorry".

"Y/N...? What happened?".

You hesitate. There's no way to say that you have voices tormenting you in your head without sounding crazy.

"Nothing. I.. I just..." you don't know how to finish that sentence.
Newt sits on the bed directly in front of you, taking both your hands in his and looking you dead in the eye.

"What's wrong Love?".

He seems to truly care about you, it melts your heart. But even though you can trust him, can you trust yourself?