VIII↠

The next day I walk into the barn without knocking, closing the door quietly behind me. I look around and see Andrew sitting on the floor, and what looks like schedules and maps on the floor.

I clear my throat not wanting him to think that I'm sneaking up on him. He jumps three feet in the air and tries to lay down on the papers and hide them but I've already seen them. He noticed it's just me and his eyes go from panicked to relieved.

"You scared the shit out of me." He says, his hands still behind his head trying to cover the papers. He sees my unamused face and sighs getting up off the floor putting the papers into a folder. There's a white label on the folder that's reads:

"Carter take-"

I can't read the rest because it's covered by his hand but my curiosity peaks. He looked so desperate to hide them from me and urgent to put them away.

He looks at me and smiles shakily. "What's in the folder?" I ask trying not to sound too interested even though I'm basically drowning in questions.

"What folder?" He asks playing dumb, putting the folder behind his back and turning whenever I try to peer around him.

"Haven't you ever heard that curiosity killed the cat?" He asks with a joking tone of voice. I back him into the kitchen counter and successfully take the Manila folder into my own hands.

"Yes my dear, however, satisfaction brought it back." I say pointing my finger in mock chastise. I turn around and walk to the couch looking at the smooth folder which I now see has the words;

"Carter takedown."

In big block letters. I furrow my brows. Why would he try to take down himself? I open the folder and take out the contents. There's a map to "Carter Energy", a schedule for someone named "James Carter" (which I presume is his father), and a whole bunch of computer codes and things I can't understand.

I look at him expectantly as I put everything back in.

"Well now I'd either have to kill you or ask you to join me..." He says laughing slightly, trying to lighten the mood. He walks over and grabs the folder from my hand and places it in the freezer. I snort.

"My dad's planing on expanding Carter Energy." He states and I nod in understanding my mouth forming the shape of an o.

"Say no more. Where do we start." I ask and he gives me the brightest smile I've ever seen on him and suddenly I feel like I can take down the world.

author's note↠

Short chapter but it was purposeful, my chapters are going to start being a bit longer.

BUT IM UPDATING EARLIER THAN I USUALLY DO BC 400 READS AND EVERYBODY's BEN VOTING LATELY WHAT ?? YOU GUYS R DA BOMB . COM I SERIOUSLY LOVE YOU

5 votes for next chapter ?

- cass xx