Tommy doesnt care, he doesnt know how to care

Caring was difficult for Tommy. He grew up in a neglectful home with two brothers and a father but they were barely there so it was as if he grew up alone in a house too big with too many rooms he wasn't allowed in not that they'd know he'd been in since they were rarely if ever home.

He had been taken in from the streets when he was really young about six or seven and he had a decently loving family for a month or two before his father had gotten bored of his newest pet project that was his child.

His family never cared for him and such he never learned how to care for anything at all. He knew most people cared about people and things and so eventually he took note of what people cared about. He copied what he saw, people cared for friends, people who were nice to them. People also cared for objects and so Tommy picked two objects and pretended to care for them. His discs became his item, the one thing everyone knew he cared for even if he didn't care for anything.

He learned eventually that people often care for more than one thing and so he overcompensated and cared for everything. Every small comment he commits it to memory a way he learned people seem to care, remembering moments was seen as caring and thus Tommy remembered as much as possible until he trained himself to remember it all.

Tommy never learned to care properly so he can't, he doesn't know how to, the most he can do is pretend. When Dream holds his discs over him Tommy has to remind himself that those discs are supposed to be his item, one of the most important things he has and so he pretends he can't live without them.

He can. He knows he can. He knows that it really doesn't matter what happens to them
but the others don't know that. the others just know he cares about the discs and so he must not be able to live without them.

That's why he's here, he might be a bit to good at pretending to care because suddenly he's standing in the middle of the ruins of the community house and Dream is waving around his discs.

"You have been very rude recently, you not only insulted me, your best friend, but you even tried to attack me. For that I see it fit to destroy one of the discs." Dream says and he can almost hear the smile in his voice.

"Dream, please, don't do this, I didn't mean too, I promise, Dream please," Tommy says going through the familiar script of repeating the same couple words because he's learned that Dream is less violent when he backs down.

"Tommy, you had your chance, life would be so much easier without any attachments that you care about too much,"

"Dream, please don't do this,"

"Maybe if you were good this wouldn't be happening, maybe if you did as you were told this wouldn't happen, maybe if you stopped caring so much about people who don't care for you this wouldn't happen," Dream says mockingly but something in Tommy snaps and suddenly his face is blank.

"I'm being punished for caring?" His tone is so not Tommy that Dream almost shivers.

"You're being punished for caring too much,"

"How much is too much?"

"Putting your discs above everyone else is placing far too much value in a pair of discs. They're just discs,"

"But you put the same amount of care into your items? If not more,"

"No I don't I'm nothing like you,"

"Yes you are, on April 16th you killed SapNap cause he took part of your armor set, you killed your best friend and he died bleeding out with arrows sticking out of his throat, torso, and the back of his knee. He got the first two shots fighting you and the third running away. He still has trouble with his knee because of this.