Chapter 3 - The 100

Roman looked back down at his watch, another ten minutes to go. He leaned against the wall and sighed, watching his grandmother Vera continue with her sermon. 

He was starting to regret offering to help her with her church today. It's not that he didn't like listening to her sermons, he even used to water the Eden tree when he was small. It's just, he wasn't in the mood to listen about the return to Earth. He would be an adult by the time they went back to old, if it were a year ago, he would have been excited to go back and rebuild human society. But now that Clarke and Wells weren't with him, he wasn't looking forward to it anymore.

"And now," said his grandmother turning to Roman and gesturing for him to join her in front of the crowd. "My grandson Roman shall recite the traveler's blessing, to honor those who are no longer with us today."

Roman shrunk into himself as he dragged his feet to the front of the crowd. He stood awkwardly next to the tree, his eyes fixed on the ground. The tension in his shoulders lessened when he felt his grandmother's embracing arm wrap around him. He always felt safe when his grandmother was around, her warmth always seemed to make his insecurities and problems disappear.

"Do you remember the words, sweetheart?" He heard her whisper to him. "It's been a while since you last did this."

"I think so," Roman mumbled. 

He had been very busy with his studies and hanging out with his friends that he had stopped attending his grandmother's masses. It had been five years since he last stood by the Eden tree. His grandmother nodded reassuringly and stepped away from him.

Roman cleared his throat and began to recite the poem, his voice echoing in the silence as the crowd listened to him.

In peace may you leave the shore

In love, may you find the next

Safe passage on your travels, 

Until our final journey on the ground.

May we meet again.

"May we meet again." The congregation spoke in unison, before rising from their seats and leaving.

Roman turned back to his grandmother, who stood smiling proudly at him.

"Well done, Roman."

"It's not a long poem to memorize," Roman admitted, shrugging his shoulders. "I guess I was just nervous about speaking in front of people."

His grandmother let out a hearty laugh. "Well, how are you going to be Chancellor one day if you can't talk in front of people."

Roman's cheeks burned red. "Gran, you know I'm not going to be Chancellor. Besides, I would be a terrible one."

"You are kind and gentle. You always listen to people and try to help everyone. You don't believe in status and hierarchy, unlike most people. And I think that's exactly what the Ark needs right now."

Roman adjusted his vintage aviator jacket and slipped his hands into its pockets. 

"Gran ... I think you've finally lost it."

Roman's grandmother frowned and she slapped his arm. Roman rubbed the slight sting he received from the slap, grinning sheepishly at her.

"Well, I should get going." Roman sighed, stepping off of the platform. "Do you need any more help?"

"No, I'm finished for the day. I'm going to see your father. He's worried about you, Roman."

Roman's smile faded at the mention of his father.