Chapter 15 - The Ark

The flickering lights caused Marcus to open his eyes.

He was lying on the ground looking up at the ceiling of the crippling Ark. He groaned as he lifted himself off of the floor. The air was very thin and he found it very hard to breathe.

Marcus struggled to his feet, using the wall as a means of support. The hallway was dark but he could make out a few bodies lying on the ground. He remembered that the Exodus ship departing had caused everyone to be thrown around as the Ark shook violently. That must've been how he ended up lying on the ground.

"Hello?" He called out, his voice was hoarse and soft, but it was the only sound to be heard. It echoed off of the walls.

There was no reply, not from any of the bodies.

Marcus stumbled forward towards the first body. He tried shaking it to try and get a response. Nothing.

"Is anyone there?" He tried calling out again.

He heard a soft murmur. His eyes darted around to find that person. His gaze finally landed on a small body slowly sitting up. It was dark to see, but he could vaguely make out the person.

"Delilah?"

The woman looked up at the mention of her name and met his gaze.

"Marcus?" She said rubbing her head. "What happened?"

"The Ark went into turbulence," He went up to her, holding out his hand to help her up, which she complied to. "And I think the lack of the air may have knocked some of us out too."

The two stood silently in the dark hallway. Delilah looked around and noticed the other bodies lying around them.

"Are they okay?"

"I don't know, but we should check in case."

Marcus and Delilah went around and checked the bodies for any sign of life. But to Marcus' dismay, none of them responded. They were all left. It was only the two of them who were alive.

"Anything?" He turned around to Delilah, who was leaning down beside one of the bodies and checking for a pulse.

She looked up at him, solemnly shaking her head and standing up. Marcus looked around, running a hand through his hair frustratedly. He didn't know how many of them were actually still alive, he didn't know if Jaha was still alive. And there was no way of contacting the ground for help. It wouldn't be long before their air supply was finished. They could try using the emergency air supply, but that would also get used up. Either way, they were all dead.

"We'll have to keep searching," Delilah said, pointing to one end of the hallway. "We might be able to find some survivors if we try covering the entire ship ... well, what's left of it."

Marcus nodded. "Okay, let's go."

There was a cold breeze blowing through the hallway that Marcus and Delilah were walking down. Marcus glanced at Delilah and saw that the top part of her overalls was in tatters, so she had removed it and tied it around her waist, leaving her upper body in just a tank top. She was hugging herself and rubbing her shoulders in an attempt to stay warm, but she was shivering. He looked at his own clothes, at least he had a warm jacket covering his body.

What the hell am I doing?

Marcus slipped off his jacket and handed it to Delilah.

Delilah was surprised. "But then, you'll be cold."

"It doesn't matter who needs it, we're dead anyway," Marcus said as the two continued on down the hallway.

"You always were kind," Delilah said as she put on the jacket. "This reminds me of when you used to walk me home, you always gave me your jacket."