Chapter 38 - The Hunt for the Wanheda

"Everybody out, or the boy dies."

As much as Bellamy wanted to correct him, that he was actually twenty-three and not a boy anymore, he couldn't exactly do that with a gun pointed right at his head. There was a strong arm wrapped around his neck, and every time he tried to fight back it would tighten even more, making it harder to breathe. In the dark of the night, Bellamy could barely make out anything. He had no idea what their captors looked like.

Just fucking great!

"Get out now!" The man holding Bellamy hostage snapped, and Bellamy could hear the clicking of the bullet fitting into its position.

"Okay! Okay! Wait!" At the corner of his eye, he could see Kane slowly moving out of the back of the jeep with his hands raised. "We're coming out! Just don't hurt him!"

Behind Kane, Cassian and Indra followed after him with their arms also raised, and Monty climbed out the front and joined them. Kane and Monty both lowered their rifles to the ground, while Cassian and Indra dropped their swords. Two more of the man's people moved forward and ushered them so that they were standing in front of Bellamy and the man, and began patting them down for any other weapons, which were a hell of a lot of knives on Cassian's part. Bellamy felt himself being shoved forward, where Monty stopped him from falling over. Bellamy turned himself to face the man, and with the lights of the jeep, he managed to see his face covered by a mask ... a familiar-looking mask ... he'd seen that mask before. He'd seen that clothing before ...

And guns?

The Skypeople were the only clan that used guns.

"All targets secured," the one masked person beside them said after they were all searched. The voice sounded like that of a woman.

"Found it," the other person – another man – said, and Bellamy glanced over his shoulder to see that he was holding the Farm Station's beacon.

Monty lurched forward, and the woman grabbed him. The boy fought back against her, glaring at the man with the beacon.

"That's mine! Give it back!"

Bellamy grew anxious when he saw the woman raise his gun.

"Monty! Just let it go!"

The woman raising her gun suddenly froze, like a deer caught in headlights. From the direction of her mask, her sights were completely focused on Monty.

"Monty?" She spoke in a soft voice that sounded like it was on the verge of cracking.

Bellamy watched as she pulled off her helmet, revealing an Asian woman around the same age as Kane, with black hair tied in a tight bun and doe eyes just like Monty's.

He had never seen this woman before in his life.

But at least Monty seemed to know who she was, because soon he looked like a deer caught in headlights.

"Mom?"

The woman shook her head in disbelief, letting her gun hang from her side. Monty's mother rushed forward and pulled her son into a warm embrace. Monty hugged his mother tightly, his eyes wide as if he had just seen a ghost. Bellamy knew why he was like that, after months without any word from any of the other stations, Monty had given up any hope of seeing his parents again. But now, here his mother was, standing in front of him. And the fact that she was here confirmed what was on all their minds from the moment they found that beacon.

"Farm Station, stand down," said the man who had dragged Bellamy out of the jeep. He appeared to be their leader.

Bellamy watched as their attackers all removed their helmets, revealing the faces of the Farm Station survivors. Some of the people holding guns he recognized back from his cadet days, were the guards of the Ark.