Chapter 12 - The Hallucination

"I'm sorry I never got the chance to talk to you. It's been a hectic past few days."

The grass was still damp from the morning dew, but he didn't care and sat down with his arms resting on his knees. He stared off blankly at the trees in front of him.

"Who knows, maybe we could've handled it better if you were there. We need a leader like you."

He looked up at the clear blue sky, he could just make out the faint outline of the Ark above him. 

"Bellamy is a good leader, he just tends to get a little violent sometimes. And Clarke's shut herself off after finding out about her mother. I understand why you did what you did, I just wish I listened to you instead of punching you in the face. Things might have been different, I might've come with you guys to the ground, you might still be here."

Roman looked down at the bracelet that Raven had made for him. 

"But then I wouldn't have met Raven. I wish you were here to meet her, she's ... amazing. Annoys the hell out of me, but amazing. But then she'd come up with a nickname for you as well, she loves doing that."

Roman's gaze moved to the grave beside him. 

"I miss you, Wells."

He reached and placed his hand on the upturned soil. 

"I'm sorry ... I'm so sorry."

"Ro, you didn't do anything wrong." Roman looked up and saw Clarke standing a few feet from him, a sympathetic look on her face.

He quickly stood up, dusting the dirt off of his jeans. "How did the meeting go? Was the video clear?"

"Thanks to you and Raven, it was." Clarke walked closer to him. "The Council told me about an emergency aid depot not far from here. We might find some supplies to help us through winter. I wanted to go and find it today. Bellamy's busy getting ready."

Roman nodded. "Do you want me to go with you?"

"No, I need someone to take care of things back here."

"Clarke ... you know how I act around others ..."

"Are you referring to that one Unity Dance where you took off running when those girls wouldn't stop flirting with you?"

Roman's felt his cheeks burn. "They had no sense for boundaries! They tried to unbutton my shirt in the middle of the dance floor!"

Clarke smiled at him. Roman looked away, straightening his jacket and following her as they walked back to the gates. Roman slipped his hands into his pockets and looked down at the leafy ground they were walking on. He was surprised that his shoelaces hadn't untied in a while, that explains why he hasn't fallen face-first into the ground. 

"There's still room in my tent if you don't have anywhere to sleep," Clarke said, glancing at Roman. "You look like you're going to pass out."

Roman shook his head. "No, it's fine. I hardly sleep anyway, I've been working on ways to reinforce the fence around the camp. We need to be able to hold off against the Grounders, and right now that fence won't last long, especially after the storm."

He pulled out the notebook his family had given him for his birthday and handed it to Clarke. She took it and opened the book to see some drawings that he had made over the past few days. 

"Jasper told me that the delinquents were beginning to ask about building some cabins. They're getting tired of living in tents, and since the rest of the Ark will be coming down soon, we need to start establishing a proper settlement. So, I made a few cabin designs," Roman said as the two teenagers entered the camp. "But we should also decide on how many people should be in a cabin."