Chapter 6

P.O.V Narrator

The dining hall was as busy as ever, the sound of voices and cutlery mixing, creating an unique atmosphere. The large dining tables occupied much of the place, most of the students preferred to sit close to friends or classmates. This is how things have worked since Carl arrived at that school; he had grown up in that place, and so all of its rules and schedules were already ingrained in his memory. The dark-haired boy held a tray containing a plate of soup, a glass of water, and an apple. A common kind of meal, ideal for keeping them warm and well-fed during the cold nights. The dark-colored uniform matched Carl's perfectly styled hair; with his food in hand, he was looking for a place to sit.

His attention was taken when he heard his name spoken aloud, before turning to the source of the sound. It was Kurt and Neka, who had called him while waving, so that the boy could locate them. Seeing his friends calmed the boy down a little, it was a habit to always sit together, so Carl went towards them. The two boys sat side by side, as Carl sat in front of them. They seemed more interested in the conversation than in the food itself, this was one of the few moments when Lacombrade's students could have fun without any worries.

"You should have seen it, Carl. Thanks to us, the team beat Necroix and now he owes us ten francs." - Neka said after Carl sat down with them, telling him about the football game that took place earlier.

"Exactly, that rascal told us that we wouldn't be able to beat him in a match, and we made him swallow those words." - Kurt speaks right after, before taking a sip from his glass of water.

Talking to those two always made him laugh, Kurt and Neka were known for their reckless actions, short temper and sense of humor. The table was still empty, with three free seats. That made the dark-haired boy anxious; he knew he would have to see Serge and Gilbert sooner or later, but he was still nervous. A few minutes passed, and Carl was taken out of his thoughts when Kurt got up and started waving in the opposite direction from where they were.

"Serge! Gilbert! We are here!" - The red-haired boy said, inviting the two boys to join them. Carl turned slightly to see, the time had come, he took a deep breath and tried to act naturally.

Serge saw his friend waving and smiled at meeting them, Gilbert, who was right behind him, was looking as serious as ever.

"We're all going to have dinner together tonight, Gilbert." - The pianist spoke sweetly to the blond boy, who agreed only by nodding.

Serge's friends had accepted the blonde as a friend for some time now, the gypsy was happy to see him socializing and acting like a normal person. Carl remembered perfectly the first time they spent time together and he started to see Gilbert in a friendlier way.

~Flashback from some time ago~

The weekend had come, homework was done, and the rooms were tidy. The boys still had time to have fun until the end of the day. Some students preferred to be outdoors walking and playing, while others were entertained with games inside the school. Carl, Pascal and Sebastian were in one of the several rooms at Lacombrade Academy, the boys were patiently watching a chess match between Kurt and Neka. It was rare for the religious boy's brother to spend time with them, since he always preferred to hang out with the older boys. They took turns to play, and every movement on the board was watched with great emotion.