Chapter 5: All Alone

Sally POV

I watched as Percy bumped into the couch in the living room. He was trying to find his way to his bedroom after coming home from the hospital. Percy had spent over three weeks at the hospital, and he was finally back home. 

"Percy, I can guide you to your room, honey," I said as I took his arm. 

He pushed me away gently. 

"Mom, I'm fine. I can find my own bedroom," he said sharply. 

Paul and I both sighed as we watched our son slowly make his way out of the living room. He was following the walls until he made it to his bed. 

His body was bumping into different things, and his hands were fumbling into the paintings and frames on the wall. Percy groaned and cursed silently as he went into his room. I could hear the door close gently all the way into the living room. 

"We're going to be okay, Sally," Paul said reassuringly as he rubbed my back. 

I turned around and embraced my husband. 

***

"Honey, how was it?" I asked brightly as my son and husband walked through the door. 

Percy simply kicked his shoes off next to the door and stormed into the house. Paul sighed before fixing the shoes. 

"Percy," I acknowledged. 

"Awful," he growled angrily as he stormed towards his room. Percy bumped some of the furniture as he quickly and clumsily left. 

"Sally, he didn't even give them a chance. We drove an hour to the vision rehabilitation center, and he left after 15 minutes," Paul said. 

"He's just not ready for it, Paul."

"Honey, I know how much you love him, but he needs this," Paul said. 

To be completely honest, Paul and I have been having more disagreements lately about Percy's health. It's been over a month since coming back from the hospital. The school year was officially over, but all Percy does is sit in his room. He barely comes out. 

Percy gets more agitated easily, and he's depressed as well. The person in my house currently was not the Percy that everyone knew. I was worried about my son. 

"I know that Percy isn't well, but I don't want to force him to do anything. He's going through enough already," I said quietly. 

Paul came over and gently kissed my forehead. 

"He's my son, too, and I'm concerned about pushing him too much. However, I want him to get back to his life," Paul whispered. 

I simply nodded. I wanted that, too.

But, how?

***

Percy POV

Darkness. 

Darkness was all that I was feeling, literally and figuratively. Imagine closing your eyes and never being able to open them again. In fact, where a blindfold for an entire day, and you'll understand. 

I didn't do anything all day every day. 

I just sat there in my blackness and darkness. Blackness was consuming me even on the inside, and I couldn't stop it. 

I knew that the plates and food were piling up on my desk. I never left my bedroom. My mom always brought the food. I would eat some, and I'd leave some. 

The rest of my room probably wasn't much better. 

I didn't feel like picking up the stuff that I would knock over. My clothes were everywhere, and sometimes, I would kick things around in anger and frustration.