Chapter 18: Blue

Coach Hedge POV

Ever since Percy's small accident in the pool, we were being a lot more careful. I was being very critical about which teammates would help Percy with the flip turns. 

I was suspicious of Luke Castellan, but there was no proof.

Nonetheless, I was only going to let trustworthy friends of Percy's help him in the pool. 

"Coach, how was my time?" Percy asked loudly as he treads water. 

Percy started training with the entire team last week. However, the team's practice was over, and only a few swimmers were left in the pool today. 

"Actually, it's very good, Percy," I said as I approached him. 

"Is it competitive with last year's time?" Percy asked. 

I sighed. I knew that he wanted to be back to his full potential. However, that was a very difficult thing to accomplish, but he was getting closer. 

"Not yet, Percy, but I think that your times are very competitive anyway," I said boldly. 

"But, they aren't good enough for upper-level competitions," Percy said a little disappointed. 

"Come out of the pool, Percy," I said. 

Percy pulled himself out of the pool and walked along the edge until he found his walking stick. Then, he followed the sound of my footsteps to the bench. 

His hand fumbled against the bench as he sat down. 

"Percy, I think that you're ready for local swim meets and competitions," I said firmly. 

"Wait, really?" Percy asked in surprise. 

"Yes, we have to start sometime, and your times are very good, Percy." 

"Besides, you should remember that your times will potentially continue to improve as you compete. Practice will only give you so much motivation," I said. 

Percy stood up suddenly. His face was bright with a smile. I could tell that he was happy and excited. 

"So, the next meet is this Saturday, right?" he asked as he turned towards me again. 

"Yes, but you'll compete in the heats starting in December (so in two weeks). Is that all right?" I asked. 

"Yes, absolutely," Percy exclaimed. "Thank you so much, Coach. Swimming again wouldn't have been possible with you." 

I simply nodded with a smile. 

That's what coaches were for: to bring out the best of their players. 

Frank and Leo joined Percy in celebration before they left towards the locker rooms. I was nervous about letting Percy compete. Swim meets were filled with many individuals who might not all be as understanding about Percy. 

Regardless, Percy was an excellent swimmer (the best in our town in a long time) even while blind, and he deserved to showcase his skills. 

***

Jason POV

"Bro, why are you doing this?" I asked. 

Percy had decided to help cook food for Thanksgiving. An audio recipe was playing in the background, and ingredients were laid out on the counter. 

"Because I'm bored, Jason. And, I thought that it would be a good idea to help out with Thanksgiving dinner later today," Percy said cheerily. 

"I just don't understand why this is necessary. You even invited Mr. Bruner, Thalia, Annabeth, and me," I said as I took a bag of chips from his pantry.