Chapter 7: Walking Stick

Chiron POV

I've seen a lot of blind individuals in my past. They all had one thing in common: their lives were altered because of a traumatic experience. It was hard to adapt to a new life. 

Percy Jackson was slightly different. 

He wasn't a normal individual. Percy had his whole life in front of him, and it all came crashing down. Percy had a name and identity since he was a popular and very talented athlete. Now, Percy didn't know who he was anymore. 

However, Percy was also stubborn. 

He was refusing to find his way in life again even if he wants to. That's why I had decided to go out of my way to help him. 

"Percy, you need to keep your arm straight," I said boldly. 

I had forced my pupil to come outside. Clearly, Percy hadn't been outside since losing his vision. 

"Why?" Percy snapped as he stopped walking. 

He threw his walking stick down on the ground in frustration. I could tell that he hated this. However, he didn't have another option for walking and living now. 

I went forward and roughly grabbed his shirt. 

"You better not be raising your voice, young man. Just because you're blind doesn't mean that I cannot fix your behavior one way or another," I said firmly. 

"Do you understand me?" I asked. 

Percy nodded as he swallowed the lump in his throat. I let go of him, and we simply stood there for a few moments. 

I gently placed my hand on his shoulder. He was a few inches shorter than me, but that was just because I was really tall. 

Percy flinched at my touch. I could see the emotions brewing in his eyes. 

"I know it's hard, Percy, but you can do this. You can get your life back even while blind. Trust me, I've seen so many individuals like yourself have happy lives," I said. 

He nodded again. "Okay," he said quietly. 

"All right, pick up the walking stick," I commanded. 

Percy fumbled his hand on the ground until he found his stick. His grip tightened around the hilt as he stood up.

"This walking stick has to become a part of you, Percy. It'll help you navigate and survive," I explained. 

We spent the rest of the day walking around the empty roads of the town. It was Saturday so the roads were empty. Meanwhile, we were in a more isolated part of town, so that Percy could train on his walking skills without interference. 

***

"Percy, you have to keep your arm straight," I repeated for the millionth time. We had been practicing for two weeks, and Percy still refused to listen to this one tip.

"I don't get why I have to keep my arm straight," he said. 

Just then, his stick hit a crack, which forced his arm to stop. His legs were still walking though. Percy's elbow hit him in his private parts due to the sudden stop. 

I couldn't help my smile. Now, he would know why his arm has to be straight. 

Percy stood up clumsily. 

"Okay, my arm has to be straight. Got it," he said firmly. 

I smiled. Percy was actually starting to get a hang of this. 

In the next few days, Percy was walking confidently with his stick even in relatively unknown locations such as stores and parking lots. 

"Chiron, we'd like to thank you," Sally said.