Chapter 8: School

Percy POV

It was very hard to learn how to use a walking stick. I wasn't used to it, and it slowed my movements down. 

However, the walking stick allowed me to walk around safely with relative confidence. 

I used the stick to guide me around my surroundings. I can feel when things are in front of me and move around accordingly. Chiron was right in that the walking stick quickly became an extension of my arm when I was outside. 

"Do you really think that I can go back to school like normal?" I asked. 

I was sitting at the dinner table while my mom was serving us food. My mom was an excellent chef, and the smells in the room emphasized that. 

"Chiron said that you can, honey. We already talked to the school as well," my mother said cheerfully. 

I could almost see the smile on her face. Almost. 

"Unless you don't want to Percy," Paul suggested. 

I knew that both of my parents were worried about me going back to school. However, I wanted to go back to a normal life. 

"I want to, Paul," I said with a smile. 

School had already opened, but tomorrow would be my first day. Chiron and I had spent the last few weeks (during the weekends) familiarizing myself with the location. 

Using my walking stick and sense of touch, I mentally mapped out the entire school to the best of my abilities, especially the path I would take between classes. 

I was still very nervous about school, though. 

My hand glided over the table until I softly felt my plate and utensil next to my plate. I started eating the mac and cheese as the conversation continued. 

"We're very excited for you, honey," my mom said. 

"Me too, mom. It's gonna be great to see-"

I faltered off suddenly. Sometimes, the blindness still caught me off guard despite being months since I lost my vision. 

"Err, it's gonna be great to talk to all of my friends and supervisors," I said. 

I had gotten better at accepting my fate. 

I'm blind, but I accepted that and I was okay. 

"Yes, definitely beats being at home all day," Paul said. 

I felt my mother's touch rubbing my arm supportingly. Paul also patted my shoulder on the other side. 

"The food's delicious, mom," I said with a genuine smile. 

***

My fingers fumbled against the shirts hanging in my closet. I stopped fidgeting when I hit the right fabric. My hand felt the stitching of the sweatshirt. 

I wanted to wear my swim hoodie on the first day of school. 

I knew that my swimming career was over, but that didn't mean that I couldn't wear my favorite sweatshirt. Right?

The rest of the morning passed by quickly and before I knew it, my mom was driving me to school. 

"So, will your friends be waiting for you Percy?" my mom asked. 

"Yup, Jason said that he'll be there. Plus, Annabeth, Thalia, and the others are also available in my different classes. I'm fine, though," I said. 

I honestly felt like I was trying to convince myself of that. 

"I know you are, honey," my mom said reassuringly.