16 • Together

❝ . . . good thing we're not alone.❞

—Takahashi

✿ 

"After school detention today," the teacher grumbles, "both of you. You can't just get away with skipping school."

Shoyo sighs. "Sorry sir."

"I'm sorry too," you say, "it won't happen again."

You both bow to the teacher and he shakes his head. "It better not. Now get to class."

As he walks away, you look at Shoyo. "So," you ask him, "I'm assuming you've never gotten detention?"

"Nope," Shoyo says, "but I'm sure Tanaka has, so I can ask him what to expect."

"That's cold, Sho, real cold."

"I'm just joking!" he laughs, "but I guess I'll see you after school."

"Yep."

Your last class flies by, and you head to detention, not excited to have to tell Rat-Face. She's going to be so mad.

At least school isn't as bad as you thought it would be. Sure, you don't really to talk to anyone other than Shoyo, but it's much worse when you're alone.

"Hey!"

You turn around, and Shoyo pops his head from around a corner. "I think it's this way."

You nod and follow him, clutching your backpack on your shoulders. 

"How long do we have to stay?" You ask Shoyo.

He shrugs. "I think it's only an hour."

Shoyo opens a door, and inside is the same teacher who scolded you before. He scowls at you both, pointing to a chair.

"Hinata, I want you over here," he instructs, "and you can sit over there."

You trudge over to your seat, inwardly groaning at the thought of sitting here for another fifty minutes. 

You take out a sheet of paper, immediately starting to doodle. What else is there to do? Work? Ew.

You doodle the teacher. His round jaw and pointy nose. 

He must've noticed you looking at him, so he stands up and takes your paper.

"This looks nothing like me," he mumbles angrily, seemingly displeased with your drawing skills. Then, he throws your drawing away, plopping back down in his seat and crossing his arms.

"Do work."

"I don't have any work, sir," you say, glancing at Shoyo.

"I don't either," he adds, smiling. 

 The teacher waves a hand dismissively, sighing. "Then write me an essay about your summer."

"Sir," Shoyo says, "it's the middle of the year."

"I said," the teacher glares, "write me. an essay. about. your summer."

You groan.

You never want to get detention again.

As the teacher dozes off, much to your pleasure, you glance at Shoyo, quickly scrawling down a note. 

Detention sucks, but it's probably worse when you're alone, you write, crumbling it up and throwing it across the room. It hits Shoyo on the forehead, and he reads it, scribbling something down of his own.

You catch the paper he throws back, smoothing it out to read the message.

Good thing we're not alone.

His handwriting is sloppy, but it still makes you smile. 

"God," you murmur sarcastically, "I think that was the most fun I've ever had in my life."

"I know," Shoyo agrees, laughing. You're walking home together, something that's become a habit. The sun is getting close to setting, and you're trying to walk home fast, since Rat-Face is probably waiting to scold you.

"Oh, oh!" Shoyo says excitedly, "It's Sakanoshita! You wanna go in?"

Your friend points to the store, and you know you shouldn't, but you nod, because you've been finding it harder and harder to say no to Shoyo.

You walk to the store with him, pushing open the door with one hand. The bell dings, alerting the owner of your presence. The store smells like fresh meat buns.

As if smelling it too, Shoyo's eyes light up. "Meat buns," he coos, walking over to the counter.

Ukai stands there, putting out his cigarette on the ashtray next to him. "Hinata?" he blinks, but then his stare turns more sinister. "Why'd you miss practice?"

Shoyo freezes, turning his head slowly to his coach. "Uuuuuuh . . . "

"I got us in trouble, sir," you bow, sensing that Ukai would be angry, "it was my fault we both got detention."

"A-Ah, n-no, it's fine," Shoyo waves his hands, "It really was partly my fault."

"Detention?" Ukai shakes his head. Shoyo nods solemnly. The man clears his throat. "Sounds like you're gonna have to do some drills, Hinata."

Shoyo groans, placing money on the counter. 

"Just get me two meat buuunnnsss," the orange haired boy whines. 

Ukai obliges, handing him two of the delicious snacks. Shoyo scoops them up, holding one out.

You blink.

He smiles. "Take it!"

"Wh-why?" You blush, "I didn't do anything."

He only shrugs, shoving the meat bun at you. You take it, bowing. "Thank you, but really, you didn't have to . . . "

"Just tell Henjin I said hi!" Shoyo says, waving at you, "I'd better get home, see ya!"

You wave him goodbye, blushing, all while clutching a meat bun in your hand. You carefully unwrap it, taking a bite.

Why won't my cheeks cool down? He's gone now.

You shake your head, fanning your face.

Ukai tilts his head. "You okay?"

"Ah," you blush even more in embarrassment, "Y-yes I'm fine."

You scurry out of the store, eating your meat-bun gift from Shoyo.