17 • Never Say Goodbye

❝The only time a goodbye is painful is when you know you'll never say hello again.❞

✿ 

"I'm just . . . disappointed in you."

You clench your fists at her words, looking at the ground. Your social worker only shakes her head.

"You got detention? On your second day of school?" She furrows her brows. "And you didn't even tell me. I almost called the cops you were gone so long!"

You're silent, facing the music like you knew you would have to.

"Why did you get detention?" Kyuen asks, softening her voice.

Once again, you don't reply.

"Just answer me!" She groans, then she takes a deep breath. "Please."

"You're not my mother," you mutter, looking away. "You don't have any right to get angry at me like this. You don't even know me. Why do you even care?"

"Because!" She shouts, "Because you were supposed to meet with a family who was interested in adopting you, except you're not even home when I come to pick you up!"

You blink, but then you shake your head. "I don't want to be adopted."

"You have to be, until you turn eighteen," Kyuen growls, running her hands through her hair. "It's my job."

You stand up. "Exactly! I'm nothing more than just a job to you!"

Her face falls, and she doesn't reply. 

"I don't want to be adopted!" You shout, "I don't want a new family! Get out of my house!"

At that, your social worker's face goes hard. "We're leaving for your new home tomorrow. Pack your bags."

Then she leaves, slamming the door behind her.

You sit in your garden.

The same hour, every single day. He's unfailing.

You can't help but cry when he doesn't come. Your last chance to say goodbye, and he's not here. Kyuen is coming in two hours, and there's nothing you can do to stop her.

Why? Why do things always go wrong?

Tears fall freely down your face. You don't stop them; this is your goodbye. The garden seems to weep with you.

So does the sky.

Rain falls like your tears, soaking your hair and clothes, but you don't care. 

You weep with the Earth, letting out all of your sorrows. The dreary sky reflects how you're feeling.

Just when you started school again. Just when you felt happier.

Just when you thought things were going okay.

"What are you doing in the rain?"

You spin around, wiping the tears from your face. 

Shoyo stands there, soaking wet from the rain, furrowing his brows.