A Grave House

Welcome back to The Water Alchemist. I don't own any of the intellectual property of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Chapter Seven

A Grave House

*** 

Ed tossed in his sleep. The same nightmare that had plagued him ever since that night came back with a vengeance. The images were as clear in his mind's eye as they were when he saw it that day.

The red spark of life engulfed the room in its illustrious glow. They had finally done it. They were going to see their mom again. Ed's chest filled with elation, fluttering in its excitement. Without warning, the air turned cold and sinister. Ed looked to his younger brother, who was screaming as tiny black hands destroyed him.

"Al!" Ed shouted to his brother, reaching for him, the joy replaced by catastrophic fear. The last of Al's body whisked away in a flash of red and black. A searing pain grasped Ed's attention from his screaming. It emanated from his leg, and as he turned to see what was causing the pain, his eyes grew wide with horror. "My leg!" His limb dematerialized before him. He was left speechless as he stared in horror at the bleeding appendage. He cried out in sheer pain, almost passing out from its intensity. He groaned and looked up to see his creation.

"Mom..." Ed called out in his sleep. Al looked over to his brother, who seemed restless. He didn't remember the last time Ed had a dream bad enough to call out to their mom.

"Brother?" Al asked the sleeping figure. Ed turned over in response. Al sighed and resumed his reading. The candlelight he read by flickered as Edward continued his tossing.

"Mom!" Edward called. He had done it; she was right there. But the creature in front of him looked nothing like his mom. It didn't even look human. The creature reached out an arm as blood spurted from its body. The way it contorted and churned made Edward feel sick. The nausea was quickly overwhelmed by deep regret. "What have I done?"

"Ahhh!" Ed shot up from his bed, throwing the covers to the floor in the process. His chest heaved as sweat beaded down his neck, running over the scarred skin of his shoulder. He assessed his surroundings quickly, and his breathing calmed until it was regular. He glanced at Al, who had quietly shut his book and waited patiently for Ed to calm himself.

"Another nightmare, brother?" Al asked softly. Ed looked out the window at the full moon.

"Yeah," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. Ed laid back down, but his eyelids refused to shut – knowing the terror that awaited them with the promise of sleep.

*** 

By the time Tucker finished restraining me, Alexander had bounced down the stairs and sat by me. My hands were bound in front of me and chained to the wall by cold and unforgiving metal cuffs. I pulled at the chain, but the iron pin in the wall did not budge. I cursed inwardly as Tucker made his way back up the stairs to retrieve Nina.

"Tucker," I called roughly, standing. "Please, I know how this ends! You do it for nothing. You get caught! It isn't worth it!"

The restraints tore my arms from their sockets as I tried to pull away. He sauntered over to his desk, resting a sleeping Nina on the chair. He ignored my constant pleading as he picked up the papers from the floor, revealing a large and intricate transmutation circle. He picked Nina up and placed her gently on the floor within the circle. He turned to Alexander and called to him. When Alexander got up, I grabbed in vain for his collar and instead ran my shackled hands through his soft coat. I called out to Alexander, but Tucker was his owner, and Alexander was loyal to a fault. Tucker chained Alexander to the wall opposite to me, and he sat panting in the circle next to Nina.