The Way It Follows You

Welcome back to The Water Alchemist. I don't own any of the intellectual property of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Chapter Twenty-Two

The Way It Follows You

*** 

"What was that?" Greed asked, his eyes trained on the door. Izumi looked over to Ed, who met her gaze.

"Don't tell me," he said disparagingly.

"I told her to stay outside," she said, looking back to their opponent. "Focus up."

Ed grit his teeth, facing Greed. Just how many times was she going to defy him today?

"So, I wasn't hearing things just now," Greed affirmed. "Let me guess; another pesky alchemist?"

"She's none of your concern," Ed growled. "You're dealing with us."

He had thought he had seen a flash of her through the door behind Greed but had chalked it up to his imagination. Just like he had when he thought he heard her voice.

"Oh, is she a special friend?" Greed grunted, throwing a punch.

"Leave her out of this," Ed snarled, barely dodging.

"Maybe a girlfriend?"

"Shut up!" Ed said, swiping at him with his automail blade.

"There's that temper!" Greed laughed, landing a hit. Ed barreled through a stone pillar he had transmuted early in the fight as Izumi rushed Greed with a swift kick. He jumped back in a flip to evade her. Ed managed to stand up and take a fighting stance next to Izumi. Greed threw his hands on his hips. "A housewife, and a hot-headed brat, what a team. Though, to be honest, it's not one I'm particularly interested in fighting. I'll just be on my way now; maybe see where that friend of yours ran off to." Greed receded his shield and turned with a grin, headed for the door behind him.

"What?" Ed said.

He thought of Marina, alone and unaccounted for. If she ran into this guy – sexist as he was – she wouldn't manage well in a fight. He barely did even with his teacher by his side.

"You coward!" Izumi said, right before choking out a river of blood.

"Teacher! What's wrong?" Ed yelled in panic, slinging his teacher's arm around him to steady her.

"He ran away," she growled. "How pathetic."

"Are you okay now?" Ed asked. In response, another flow of blood spurted from Izumi's mouth and startled Ed. "Teacher! Just hang on!" Suddenly, soldiers rushed both openings to the room, pointing their guns straight at them.

"Secure them!" a soldier exclaimed.

"H-Hey," Ed managed, slightly panicked. "I'm a state alchemist, Edward Elric. The Fullmetal Alchemist."

He introduced himself as soldiers flanked them. He set Izumi down to the floor gently as they confirmed his identity. The silver watch was proof enough of his station, and once settled, they demanded from him an explanation of events. He focused on the door as he explained the situation. He didn't have time for all this bureaucracy; he had to find Marina and Al. He just hoped she'd manage on her own, trusting that his brother was capable of handling himself. Finally finished with his report, he left Izumi to the care of the soldiers and made a break for the door. He stopped suddenly as something caught his eye. He crouched and picked up the girl's sandals. He thrust them to a soldier with an exasperated grunt and sprinted through the corridor.