17 • views

originally, i wasn't going to let tom stay. after he told me everything with jade, i felt horrible for him.

people don't understand that getting engaged makes you even happier with your partner. the thought of spending the rest of your life with them is a boost of confidence.

when that feeling gets ripped away from you, it isn't fun at all. you feel like you don't want to go on any longer. seeing tom's reaction to jade when he was telling me everything reminded me of when jack died.

i remember telling the doctors and the police everything that happened that night. i could barley even get my words out through my sobs.

now, the same thing was happening with tom.

"listen, i can have your mother get your stuff and bring it-"

"no," tom said harshly, "not my mother."

"okay... i'll see if windsor can do it." i changed my plan as a grabbed some ice cream for us to snack on, even though it was 9:00 in the morning.

"thanks," he said as he grabbed the spoon i brought over.

"so," i started as i took a bite of the ice cream as well, "are you going back to london?"

"probably not. i can find a hotel here to stay in for a couple of weeks." he explained, "there's no reason to sort things out right now."

"you know it gets better eventually-"

"doesn't seem like that," he interrupted.

"tom, i know our situations are much different. i never thought i would be able to get past it, and honestly i still haven't." i explained, "but instead for focusing my life around the past, i worry about what makes me happy in the present."

he just looked at me, without saying a word. it was too silent in the room, so i put on our favorite movie; twilight.

"i haven't seen this movie since that night you stayed over," he said, actually cheerfully.

"i've only seen it once since then," i responded. i assumed i probably shouldn't tell him that i watched it the day my heart was broken by him.

i guess it didn't really matter now, i was over it.

i got to thinking about what tom said, about staying in italy for a couple of weeks.

"hey tom?" i broke the silence.

"yeah,"

"instead of wasting your money on a hotel, why don't you just stay here?" i offered, he looked at me with bright eyes.

"really?" he asked with a mouth full of ice cream.

"of course! this place is too big for me and lyra anyway."

he gave a weak smile as he finally finished the last bite of his ice cream.

he spent the entire day at my house, we barley talked at all though. it wasn't the awkward kind of silence, it was more of a comforting silence.

i looked over at the clock, too see it was 4 PM.

"why don't we go out and do something tonight?" i suggested as i brought him a cup of water.

"why would we do that?" he asked harshly.

"well, we need to buy you clothes first. then we can get some drinks or something,"

"i don't need to buy new clothes-" tom started before i interrupted him.

"tom, i am not letting you where the same outfit for a couple of weeks straight."